Good morning everybody and happy Wednesday! Here’s to hoping the Mariners offense picks it back up today against the Astros. Until then, here’s what you need to know today.
In Mariners news...
- Larry Stone at The Seattle Times gives his thoughts on what has been a weird start to the season for the Mariners.
Around the league...
- Brendan Gawlowski at Fangraphs wrote about the terrible league-wide batting average we’re seeing so far this season.
- Kyle Glaser at Baseball America reports that only players who aren’t on 40-man rosters will be allowed to participate in Olympic qualifiers for baseball.
- What the heck?
The Pioneer League has announced rules it will use for its first year as a Partner League. Instead of extra innings there will be a HR derby to settle ties. Each team can use a designated pinch hitter and a designated pinch runner. pic.twitter.com/0xLnUJ4s1V— JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) April 27, 2021
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs broke down Jayce Tingler’s decision to intentionally walk not one, but two players in a row during one of the Padres’ latest games with the Dodgers.
- Former Mariner Yonder Alonso has landed a new gig.
- We’ve got another April trade! This one upset a lot of Yankees fans on my Twitter timeline.
Yankees have traded Mike Tauchman to the SF Giants for Wandy Peralta, a lefty reliever— Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) April 27, 2021
- Left-handed reliever Jerry Blevins announced his retirement from baseball.
- Injuries just keep coming for fun players this year.
Strained left hamstring for Marlins leadoff man Jazz Chisholm Jr.— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) April 28, 2021