It’ll be a brief links today, as it’s another early game out in Boston—if it gets played, of course. It’s forecasted to rain in Boston all morning, with the rain not letting up until later in the afternoon. The game might be pushed a couple of hours, but as it’s a getaway day for the Mariners, they might bang the game entirely and just add an extra game in August when the Red Sox travel to T-Mobile, a ballpark that is smartly outfitted with a roof.
In Mariners news:
- Yesterday’s Mariners game was fun, wasn’t it? Even more fun, here’s legendary hitting guru Bobby Tewksbary breaking down Kyle Seager’s play at the plate.
- The MiLB season starts May 4, and we’ve got some Mariners minors spring training videos to drool over. First up, Emerson Hancock:
And here’s a little Devin Sweet treat:
Around the league:
- An old pal is getting DFA’d by Baltimore. Love you forever, Wader Tot.
- The Marlins had to shut down their spring training complex due to multiple (at least five players) testing positive for the virus. It’s a reminder that even as vaccinations are becoming more available, we’re still a ways off from beating this thing, so keep wearing your mask, social distancing, and being safe!
- ICYMI, yesterday the Angels and Astros played a wild one. Astros starter Jake Odorizzi was pulled in the second inning with forearm tightness, to be replaced by rookie Kent Emanuel, who you might remember from yesterday’s links. Emanuel pitched well, so well that he made a little history:
I very much do not look forward to seeing him a bunch of times this season!
- This video the White Sox made of Yermín Mercedes enjoying his new signature burger is, much like the man himself, an absolute delight:
We’re not NOT saying Yermín Mercedes went 4-for-4 after eating the Yermínator burger… pic.twitter.com/aahbeHTtkw— Chicago White Sox (@whitesox) April 24, 2021
- The season of Guys Being Dudes continues:
Keegan Akin cut his left index finger with a knife making breakfast, Brandon Hyde said. The wound required stitches that will be removed in 10 days, per Hyde. That's why he isn't starting today. #Orioles— Joe Trezza (@JoeTrezz) April 24, 2021
- Anthony Castrovince is asking the really important questions: why are most Zachs/Zacks in baseball pitchers?
No bird content today, but last night I got a chance to play Wingspan for the first time and it was excellent. But where bird content fears to tread, volcano content enters the chat: