Good morning everyone! Let’s get you the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Ryan Divish at The Seattle Times wrote about the reasons behind ROOT Sports’ decision to broadcast fewer spring training games than usual.
- Nathan Grimm at Baseball Prospectus tries to settle the Julio Rodríguez vs. Jarred Kelenic debate. ($)
Around the league...
- The Athletic released a bombshell report regarding Mickey Callaway, in which sources claimed that the Cleveland organization knew about his sexual harassing tendencies while he was with the team. ($)
- Terry Francona’s son released a surprising statement regarding the story above.
- It got to be tough to be a Rockies fan right now.
The Rockies are said not to have the budget for any big signing at the moment, so barring some big change there won’t be an extension coming anytime soon for superstar SS Trevor Story, as I just said in @MLBNetwork— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 2, 2021
- The Angels continue to have problems keeping pitchers healthy.
Angels reliever Gerardo Reyes has a UCL sprain in his right elbow. Still going through options on the next steps.— Fabian Ardaya (@FabianArdaya) March 2, 2021
- Jeff Passan at ESPN reports that Triple-A games are going to be pushed back by at least a month and that the Alternate Site might be here to stay.
- Honestly, I didn’t know that he had ever left Kansas City (He left in 2016) (I have apparently forgotten he spent time in Seattle).
Jarrod Dyson is close to a deal with the Royals, per source. Deal will be pending physical. @ByRobertMurray was first with the news.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) March 3, 2021
- One former Mariner might sit this one out.
Mike Leake won’t be playing to start the season after turning down multiple offers. Word is that if things are more back to “normal” in terms of the virus he will be back pitching later in the season assuming there is a good fit. Leake opted out last year.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 2, 2021
- Miami bolsters its exciting, young staff with a veteran.
Gio Gonzalez, Miami product, agrees to Marlins deal. Wanted to pitch at home. Minors deal with MLB camp invite. @CraigMish— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 3, 2021
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs reminds everyone that Yordan Álvarez is a really good baseball player.
- The Seattle Storm released an awesome new logo for the upcoming season.