Good afternoon! Some lunchtime links wouldn’t do us any harm.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners are hoping to finalize their big league roster today, but they dropped a few spoilers last night, including that reliever Will Vest and outfielder Taylor Trammell had earned spots, particularly with uncertainty around Kyle Lewis’ health.
Servais called it raw emotion. He asked Trammell what he thought about being in the starting lineup on opening night. He told Trammell it was ok to remove his mask cause they were socially distanced. Said there was huge smile on Trammell’s face. https://t.co/EzUboi7bFS— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 28, 2021
- The club also confirmed Justin Dunn would receive the sixth starter spot over Nick Margevicius, with the latter moving to the bullpen for long relief to start the year.
- The likely rotation should look something like this:
It's looking like the rotation will slot out:— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 28, 2021
Marco Gonzales, LHP
James Paxton, LHP
Chris Flexen, RHP
Justus Sheffield, LHP
Yusei Kikuchi, LHP
Justin Dunn, RHP
Around the league...
- The Nationals are demoting Carter Kieboom, whose struggles have played him out of the starting 3B role.
- Congrats to Daniel Vogelbach on cracking another Opening Day roster, now with the Milwaukee Brewers.
The Brewers have informed Daniel Vogelbach he made the Opening Day roster.— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) March 28, 2021
- The Astros have at least three possible opening day players - Myles Straw, Abraham Toro, and Garrett Stubbs - liable to start the season on the COVID-IL after violating health and safety protocols.
- Masahiro Tanaka opened up to Japanese media about why he left MLB despite excellent results and relative youth: a lack of feeling safe.
- Cleveland traded longtime starter Adam Plutko to the Orioles for a PTBNL or cash. They also selected an old friend.
Indians have selected the contracts of OF Ben Gamel and Oliver Perez. To make room on the 40-man, RHP Cam Hill was moved to 60-game IL and C Beau Taylor was DFA'd.— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) March 27, 2021
- A couple notable bullpen arms will be out early for the defending champs.
Joe Kelly and Brusdar Graterol will start season on injured list, Dave Roberts said.— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) March 27, 2021
- From the San Diego Union-Tribune, Fernando Tatis Jr. is already a legend in San Diego for young and old alike. His 14 year pact with the Padres has given fans a player they can trust will be their guy.
- Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Jay Bruce made the Yankees!