Hello folks and happy Thursday! We’re officially a week out from MLB Opening Day! Let’s get to some links.
In Mariners news...
- Please let this be a breakout year for him.
More Justin Dunn Breaking Ball Filth. pic.twitter.com/BonnFhRclF— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) March 25, 2021
- The Mariners have announced that T-Mobile Park is sold out for Opening Day.
Around the league...
- Jared Diamond at The Wall Street Journal wrote about Eddie Robinson, the oldest living former MLB player, and how he made up for not going to a game in 2020 (the first season he hadn’t done so for in over half a century) by heading down to spring training in 2021.
- The Tigers made a couple of major roster decisions, impacting the future of a former Mariner.
Tigers informed Julio Teheran and Tarik Skubal this morning that they've both made the team, manager A.J. Hinch said.— Jason Beck (@beckjason) March 24, 2021
Ian Krol and Erasmo Ramirez were informed that they will not make the Opening Day roster but will remain with team thru end of camp.
- I guess Trevor Bauer signed his extension at the right time for him.
MLB's attempts to crack down on foreign substances are outlined in a memo obtained by ESPN. Among the plans:— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 24, 2021
- Increased monitoring by compliance officers
- Inspections of baseballs taken out of play that will use a third-party lab to check for substances
- Spin-rate analysis
- I think this is getting out of hand.
The Carolina Disco Turkeys are the newest team in Winston-Salem, NC, and begin play this summer! We're excited to play our home baseball games at Truist Stadium as summer roommates of the @WSDashBaseball! More info: https://t.co/1mb9OBBdzh @MiLBPromos @UniWatch @sportslogosnet pic.twitter.com/WYv34sR3AC— Carolina Disco Turkeys (@discoturkeys) March 24, 2021
- The Astros have agreed to a five-year extension with Lance McCullers, Jr.
- But it looks like another Houston star turned down a similar offer.
Astros offered superstar SS Carlos Correa about $120M for 6 years, and no surprise, to this point there’s no sign of traction. Assuming no deal occurs, Correa, 26 now, will be the youngest in a great free agent class. Astros did get McCullers done at $85M/5, so credit them there.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 24, 2021
- Meanwhile, it’s going to be a little bit before we see Khris Davis in Ranger Blue.
Update on Khris Davis: grade 2 strain of the quad. Expected to miss 3-4 weeks.— Levi Weaver (@ThreeTwoEephus) March 24, 2021
- The White Sox are favored to sign one of the best international free agents out there.
Sources: White Sox expected to sign Cuban OF Oscar Colas (22) for around $2.7 M when a new international signing period opens on January 15, 2022. Several MLB teams (Mets-Angels-Marlins) were in the race for Colas, who left Cuba in early January 2020 and was a FA last December.— Francys Romero (@francysromero10) March 25, 2021
- This headline combined with this image might be the funniest thing I’ve seen all week.
- It’s time for you to learn about Caitlin Clark, an Iowa freshman basketball player who might just be the next great athlete in the sport.