Good morning everyone! Here’s the latest from around the world of baseball.
In Mariners news...
- We should be seeing Jarred again very soon.
Per MLb source ... Jarred Kelenic is supposed to take live BP today and should be playing in tomorrow’s Cactus League game if everything goes as planned.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 16, 2021
- In fact, he looked pretty good here.
Kelenic hits a hard groundball during the sim game and explodes out the box like it’s a double. He sprints all the way to second and slides into the bag. pic.twitter.com/NHWvLC3oW5— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) March 16, 2021
- The Mariners made a minor round of roster cuts yesterday.
Mariners announce 3 Spring Training roster moves:— Mariners PR (@MarinersPR) March 16, 2021
Optioned to High-A Everett:
RHP Juan Then
Re-Assigned to minor league camp (2):
RHP Moises Gomez
LHP Ian McKinney
Seattle's spring roster is now at 60 players.
- A huge bummer for a guy who seemed pretty amped to return to Seattle.
Injury updates: Roenis Elias who left a game last week with forearm pain has opted to have surgery. Domingo Tapia, out with an oblique will start playing catch tomorrow.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) March 16, 2021
- Corey Brock at The Athletic answers a number of reader questions in his latest post, including a prediction on whether Taylor Trammell will break camp with the team. ($)
Around the league...
- This man just keeps mashing.
OHTANI TAKES BIEBER DEEP TO CENTER! pic.twitter.com/sasA4Rohsq— Alex Fast (@AlexFast8) March 16, 2021
- It’s notable to look at how the Royals are treating a guy who’s never played above rookie ball to how Seattle is treating a guy who should be on the doorstep of the big leagues.
GM Dayton Moore of the #Royals just told us they are open to Bobby Witt jr. make their team out fo spring training. Reminding us there are still two weeks left in Spring Training. Made ti clear he can also play CF and 2B as well as SS 3B. @FantasyAlarm— Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenGM) March 16, 2021
- Mookie Betts got the GQ cover story treatment with Opening Day around the corner, and boy does he look good.
- Miguel Cabrera defended the Tigers’ decision to hire A.J. Hinch in spite of the Astros cheating scandal.
- Jim Bowden at The Athletic calls out over a dozen young players who have impressed in spring training so far. His list includes a current Mariner and a former M’s prospect. ($)
- More bad news for the Blue Jays and the young right-hander.
#BlueJays news: Nate Pearson (right groin) had a setback while working his way back to action. GM Ross Atkins called it a "mild re-aggravation."— Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) March 16, 2021
Jays will re-evaluate Pearson in the coming days to determine next steps. At this point, certainly seems likely he opens season on IL
- Ooh, this is fun.
- The U.S. will host an Olympic qualifier for softball in June.
- One of the last MLB free agents finally found his home.
Maikel Franco: $800K salary, $200K incentives, bonus if traded, parties agree that option can be utilized first few weeks due to late start, MLB deal. #orioles— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 16, 2021
- Whoa, didn’t see this one coming.
LeBron James to become part owner of Red Sox, both he & Maverick Carter each join Fenway Sports Group as partners, first and only Black partners in FSG history.— Michael Silverman (@MikeSilvermanBB) March 16, 2021
FSG also approves $750M investment from RedBird Capital Partners. Deal pending MLB approval.https://t.co/N7gibdlNhs
- Uh oh.