Good morning, sports fans! Lots of action in the AL West so far this weekend, so let’s get you up to speed.
In Mariners news...
- Our own Joe Doyle broke the news that the Mariners are favored to sign top international prospect Felnin Celesten in the 2022 international draft.
The Mariners are the favorite to sign 2022 shortstop Felnin Celesten come July 2, 2022. Celesten is widely regarded as arguably the top international prospect in the 2022 class. https://t.co/J6Ir7R31mg— Joe (@JoeDoyleMiLB) February 6, 2021
- Ken Rosenthal has retroactively linked the Mariners with IF Tommy La Stella, who recently signed with the Giants. Almost making a move is just like actually making one, right?
- Kyle Lewis got a chance to catch up with some old friends.
- Jon Heyman extended an olive branch to Great Kid Evan White.
I’m wearing my new T-shirt from the 108 Stitches charity of new friend Evan White, Mariners 1B. Great guy, great cause — aiding kids in cancer fight. https://t.co/HIGtfE0UAT pic.twitter.com/Ida3l1ExfC— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 6, 2021
Around the league...
- The A’s and Rangers swap veterans, prospects, and cash in a convoluted deal that sent now-former franchise-face SS Elvis Andrus to Oakland and DH Khris Davis to Arlington. We’ll still be seeing plenty of those two.
Full trade, per sources: SS Elvis Andrus, C Aramís García and cash to Athletics. DH Khris Davis, C Jonah Heim and RHP Dane Acker to Rangers. First on Garcia: @Evan_P_Grant.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 6, 2021
- RHP Mike Fiers returns to Oakland in 2021 for $3.5 million, though it sounds like he didn’t have much of a choice.
- Houston avoids arbitration with noted Mike Fiers fan, SS Carlos Correa.
- The D-Backs designate LHP Taylor Guilbeau for assignment, who spent some time in Seattle following the Roenis Elías trade in 2019.
- Congrats to LIDOM’s Águilas Cibaeñas (Cibao Eagles) on their sixth Caribbean Series championship!