Good morning everyone! Here’s what you need to know as you kick off your Thursday.
In Mariners news...
- I don’t buy it, but naturally, everyone is talking about it.
Hearing @jonmorosi on @710ESPNSeattle with @jtheaps9 & @StacyRost say Theo Epstein might be realistic for the Mariners to sign... pic.twitter.com/3Tj6UAMwzO— Taylor Jacobs (@TaylorJacobs) February 24, 2021
- If this is the entire Mariners injury report to kick off spring training, I’ll take it.
Camp health updates: Torrens has been slowed with a cut on his finger suffered in the weight room. Assorted early camp hamstrings and soreness w/a few pitchers. Delaplane a little behind with soreness, threw bp yesterday.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) February 24, 2021
- Oh to be a fly on the batting cage.
Per Servais Ichiro was throwing BP to Julio Rodriguez's group. He missed with some pitches outside of the zone to which Julio asked, "Are you afraid of me?"— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 24, 2021
- Here’s a guy we don’t get to hear from very often.
Chef Anthony Misiewicz? — ROOT SPORTS™ | NW (@ROOTSPORTS_NW) February 24, 2021
The @Mariners pitcher talks about his cooking and how it went trying Chef @GordonRamsay style eggs @JenTalksSports | @budmishovits18 | #MarinersST pic.twitter.com/7bRMy8z7lQ
- James Paxton throws some cold water on Kevin Mather’s comments revolving around his free agency this winter.
Paxton with the media said that it was frustrating to hear Mather's comment's and that he didn't have his facts straight. "I did have other offers. I did have more lucrative offers but I decided to come here anyway because this is where I wanted to be."— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) February 24, 2021
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic thinks there might be another level of performance that Kyle Lewis can achieve. He also discusses where Evan White could go from here. ($)
Around the league...
- Alex Bregman is dealing with some hamstring issues that he hopes to get under control before Opening Day.
- Another crushing blow for a top prospect who has faced so many developmental hurdles already.
Royce Lewis has a right ACL tear and will require surgery, Derek Falvey just announced. He will fly to the Twin Cities and have the surgery on Friday and then will return to Fort Myers to rehab. Typical returns are at least nine months, Falvey said.— Betsy Helfand (@betsyhelfand) February 24, 2021
- An unfortunate reminder that this is going to be a factor all summer.
#WhiteSox 1B Jose Abreu has tested positive for COVID and will be away from camp for a while.— Bernie Pleskoff (@BerniePleskoff) February 24, 2021
- Guillermo will be joining one of the most fun, young teams in the sport.
Braves claim outfielder Guillermo Heredia off waivers from Mets, source tells @TheAthletic. Had been designated for assignment on Sunday.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 24, 2021
- James Wagner at The New York Times wrote about Xavier University of Louisiana, an H.B.C.U. that is playing baseball again for the first time in more than a half-century.
- In case you missed it, Shin-Soo Choo is returning to the KBO. Jay Jaffe at Fangraphs talked about Choo’s legacy and what his departure from the Rangers means.