Good morning everyone! It’s been a busy few days in baseball and in Mariners World specifically. The Kevin Mather fallout continues and spring training games are just around the corner. Let’s get you covered on all that you need to know as you get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners’ social media account was seemingly given permission to take Its own shot at Mather.
If this is "boring," sign us up. pic.twitter.com/8LVpHuOu3M— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) February 24, 2021
- Boy, it’s great to see the Big Maple in the powder blue.
Iron sharpens iron. pic.twitter.com/AhIYzjCUjK— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) February 23, 2021
- His wasn’t the only familiar face out on the field.
Ichiro and Franklin Gutierrez are among the special instructors for Spring Training again this year @ROOTSPORTS_NW #SpringTraining2021 pic.twitter.com/dTDjQxF7k3— Jen Mueller (@JenTalksSports) February 23, 2021
- Randy at Views from 314 Ft. wrote about the racist undertones in the Mather video and what it says about the state of the sport.
- The M’s made a minor roster move yesterday.
The Mariners have outrighted RHP Robert Dugger to Triple-A Tacoma with an invite to Major League camp.— Mariners PR (@MarinersPR) February 23, 2021
Dugger was designated for assignment for Feb. 19.
- Jordan Shusterman wrote the Mariners’ season preview over at Baseball Prospectus. ($)
- Well that didn’t take long: Adam Jude at The Seattle Times tracked down the man who first discovered the Rotary Club video to talk about how it all went down.
- Marc W at U.S.S. Mariner penned some thoughts on the Mather dilemma.
Around the league...
- Wacky baseball numbers will never cease to amaze me.
Mike Trout’s past...— Jim Passon (@PassonJim) February 23, 2021
...299 games = .299 BA
...440 games = .440 OBP
...610 games = .610 SLG
...1,020 games = 1.020 OPS
- RJ McDaniel at Fangraphs wrote about the end of the Northwest League.
- Taijuan Walker knows not to make enemies early in his tenure.
Taijuan Walker says he chose uniform No. 99 with the Mets because Mr. Met is No. 00.— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) February 23, 2021
No stepping on Mr. Met's toes.
- In news that could cause M’s fans some headache this season, Joey Gallo found himself a new bat this offseason that he thinks will help him unlock a new aspect to his game.
- Gerrit Cole, now in a position of power within the MLBPA, voiced some of his frustrations to what Mather said in the infamous video.
- For all of you moviegoers out there, several actors and actresses from the upcoming Spider-Man film teased fans by posting potential movie title names in on their Instagram pages.
- In major non-baseball sporting news, Tiger Woods was badly injured in a car accident, but is not in mortal peril as a result.