In Mariners News...
- At long last, Mariners signings! The Mariners have agreed to minor league contracts with Jack Reinheimer and Jaime Schultz, both including invitations to spring training.
We have agreed to terms on minor league contracts with the following players and invited them to Major League Spring Training:— Mariners Player Development (@MsPlayerDev) February 1, 2021
UTL Jack Reinheimer
RHP Jaime Schultz pic.twitter.com/wjPlfDPQSw
- He’s a great kid assisting in a great cause: Evan White is helping to raise funds for Team NEGU, and by buying one of these shirts, 100% of the proceeds will go towards actively fighting cancer.
#Mariners Evan White is on a mission to encourage kids fighting cancer across Washington and the Pacific Northwest to Never Ever Give Up! Get a shirt and give encouragement to kids to NEGU! 100% of proceeds go to @TeamNEGU. Check out the tee! https://t.co/QTbMbgrucd @Mariners pic.twitter.com/9ooYNKifnC— True Gravity Baseball (@TGB_40Forty) February 1, 2021
- A reminder to vote for our very own Amanda Lane for SABR’s Historical Baseball Analysis Award! Voting is super easy and quick, just follow this link and select Amanda’s name. No registration needed! If you haven’t yet, check out her amazing nominated series on Seattle baseball and the 1918 pandemic.
Around The League...
- The Orioles are finalizing a deal with the Angels that would include sending RHP Alex Cobb to Baltimore in exchange for infield prospect Jahmai Jones, the Angels’ 2015 second-round draft pick.
- Veteran Red Sox second-baseman Dustin Pedroia has announced his retirement. Pedroia hadn’t played since the 2019 season due to a knee injury, and acknowledge that he “could’ve finished [my] career the right way,” but knows his decision to retire came at the right time. Congrats on a fantastic career!
- Former Mariner Raul Ibanez has been hired by the MLB league office as their new Senior VP of On-Field Operations. He’ll work alongside longtime Marlins executive Michael Hill, and will assist in overseeing umpires and other on-field issues.
- The Marlins have traded RHP Jordan Yamamoto to the Mets for minor league infielder Federico Polanco. Yamamoto is a nice addition to the Mets’ bullpen depth, and although he may not be in the starting rotation immediately, he joins top starters on the roster like Jacob DeGrom and Carlos Carrasco.
- Free agent OF Delino DeShields has agreed to return to the Rangers on a minor league deal that includes an invitation to spring training.
- Fernando Tatis Jr. will be gracing the latest cover of MLB The Show 21, making history as the youngest player and first Padres player ever to be featured on the cover.