Good morning and happy Friday! Let’s get to the latest from around the world of baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Don’t expect Logan Gilbert to break camp with the team.
Given the lack of a minor league season last year, Logan Gilbert isn’t really competing for a rotation spot. Servais said they will build him up at a slower rate. They want him to fuel in the tank (innings available) in the later monthsof the season— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 18, 2021
- The Mariners will allow up to 2,000 fans at Cactus League home games. The tickets are not yet available for purchase.
- Jerry Dipoto admitted that he actively pursued Tommy La Stella and Kolten Wong up to the final minute in the team’s efforts to add a bat.
Around the league...
- Hearts were broken all around Seattle this morning as it was reported that Taijuan Walker has signed a two-year deal with the Mets.
- Well we can thank the Blue Jays for getting cold feet.
- The Oakland bullpen becomes stronger.
Closer Trevor Rosenthal and the Oakland A’s are in agreement on a one-year, $11M contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 18, 2021
Rosenthal had been seeking a four-year contract originally. Reliever market cratered and he gets one with deferred money. @JonHeyman was first.
- The A’s are making a lot of moves here late in the offseason.
Designated hitter Mitch Moreland and the Oakland A’s are in agreement on a one-year major league contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 18, 2021
- Another longtime big leaguer decides to call it a career.
Veteran 2B Brian Dozier announces his retirement— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) February 18, 2021
- It’s so weird to see a staggered minor league start. Single-A and Double-A will essentially be semi short-season.
#MLB announces 2021 Minor League schedule:— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) February 18, 2021
▪️ 20 Triple-A clubs open Tue, April 6
▪️ 10 Triple-A clubs open Thu, April 8
▪️ 90 AA & A clubs open Tue, May 4
▪️ Triple-A season is 142 games
▪️ AA & A seasons are 120 games pic.twitter.com/mhykZqJWMX
- It’s sad to hear that Félix wasn’t enjoying himself in Seattle.
Félix Hernández said the last few years he spent in Seattle were tough because of injuries, to the point that he wasn't having fun anymore. "Right now, I really feel good. I'm ready to go." #Orioles— Jon Meoli (@JonMeoli) February 18, 2021
- Eric Longenhagen and Kevin Goldstein at Fangraphs outline their predictions for who we’ll be talking about in 2022. A few M’s prospects get mentions.
- We’ve got our first major injury report of the spring.
Girardi: J.T. Realmuto has a fractured thumb. Re-evaluated in two weeks. They are hoping he'll be ready for Opening Day, but they are not sure.— Matt Gelb (@MattGelb) February 18, 2021
- I’m glad baseball players are like us, coming up with genius ideas when we’re trying to sleep.
Yu Darvish said he wishes there were a rule that allowed pitchers over the age of 34 to decide whether they want to hit for themselves or not. He said he came up with the idea before bed. Personally, he would like to watch someone else hit.— Dennis Lin (@dennistlin) February 18, 2021
- Blake Snell took to The Players’ Tribune to give his thoughts on the Rays pulling him early in that fateful 2020 playoff game.