Hello everyone and happy Thursday! We’re coming off what is likely to be one of the busier days of the lockout with the MiLB Rule 5 Draft taking place yesterday. Let’s get to all of that and more.
In Mariners news...
- At this point we might as well just call this segment “Noelvi Marte news.”
Noelvi Marte with a nice double play turn to bail his pitcher out of a jam. The defense looks very smooth and confident, he's really playing up to the level of the league so far. pic.twitter.com/cE6pz6b0ne— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) December 9, 2021
Around the league...
- Good to see someone out there giving Ty France some love.
Top 10 first basemen going into 2022. pic.twitter.com/ee82aWKRZu— MLB Nerds (@MLBNerds) December 8, 2021
- The Athletic Staff interviewed representatives from MLB and the MLBPA about whether the scrubbing of player likenesses from the league’s webpages was literal law or merely a part of the bargaining process. ($)
- Yasiel Puig is indeed returning to pro baseball, just not in America. I’m guessing that he’s going to absolutely dominate the KBO.
Yasiel Puig is coming to #KBO after all. The Kiwoom Heroes have signed Puig to a 1-yr, $1 million contract (maximum amount for 1st-year foreign players), source tells my colleague at Yonhap. The club's official announcement expected soon.— Jeeho Yoo (@Jeeho_1) December 9, 2021
- Jake Devin at Pinstripe Alley wonders how likely it is that Gerrit Cole opts out of his deal in three years.
- The Orioles have signed 2021 part-time Mariner Jacob Nottingham to a minor league contract.
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs examines the potential trade market for John Means.
- Our own Michael Ajeto tweeted this out yesterday, reminding me of the joys that Mariners commercials bring me. I seriously hope the team manages to bring them back in 2022. This one in particular is a gem from start to finish.