With the deadline for teams to tender qualifying offers to eligible free agents closing yesterday, there is plenty to catch up on in today’s links. Let’s jump right in:
In Mariners news...
- Brent Stecker at 710 ESPN Seattle writes that Julio Rodriguez could be the Mariners’ center fielder of the future, as there is no set starter for the position yet.
Around the league...
- Former Boston Red Sox hitting coach Tim Hyers has been hired by the Texas Rangers as their new hitting coach.
The Texas Rangers are hiring Tim Hyers as hitting coach, sources tell ESPN. Hyers, 50, spent the last four years as the Boston Red Sox’s hitting coach and left the organization last week to pursue other opportunities. Multiple teams were interested in him, but Texas is the spot.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) November 7, 2021
- Astros pitcher Justin Verlander is throwing for multiple teams this morning. He still has over a week to decide if he will accept Houston’s qualifying offer.
Justin Verlander is throwing tmrw morning with several teams expected to be in attendance at Cressey's Sports Performance. Verlander, who was extended a qualifying offer by Houston, has until Nov. 17 to decide whether to accept it. Could opt to seek a longer deal.— Britt Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) November 7, 2021
- The 2021 Gold Glove award winners were announced last night, with a record five St. Louis Cardinals players winning National League Gold Gloves.
- 14 players received qualifying offers (one-year/$18.4 million deals for 2022) yesterday, the highest number since the 2015-2016 off-season. Each of these players has until November 17 to decide if they want to accept the offer or decline and remain free agents.
- Ken Davidoff at the NY Post ranks the top 40 MLB free agents and predicts where their best landing spots could be.
- The Tampa Bay Rays have exercised Mike Zunino’s $7 million club option for the 2022 season, making him one of the team’s highest paid players next season.
- Johnny Cueto’s $22 million club option has been denied by the San Francisco Giants, ending his six-year run with the team and making him a free agent this offseason.
- The Chicago Cubs have claimed LHP Wade Miley off waivers from the Cincinnati Reds, picking up his $10 million club option right before yesterday’s deadline.