Hello everyone! Happy Friday! Let’s kick it off with some links.
In Mariners news...
- And here we have yet another comment from Jerry Dipoto promising an exciting offseason.
Jerry Dipoto w/@TheMikeSalk on robust FA market.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) November 4, 2021
"It's exciting. This is the first time we have really set our sights on finding those centerpiece players that can really drive a championship team and hopefully we are able to bring one to Seattle, if not more."#Mariners
- Help out our friend Manny!
If you have some spare dollars to contribute to Manny Acta's foundation after their youth center was vandalized and robbed, you can donate via PayPal here: https://t.co/O6vQN9qthl https://t.co/R8FPH1sIWf— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) November 4, 2021
Around the league...
- Honestly I had forgotten Ian Desmond was still around and did not know he had opted out these last two years. But he’s available now.
Rockies are declining $15M option on Ian Desmond and instead paying $2M buyout. He opted out of the past two seasons due to Covid.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) November 4, 2021
- Another very talented outfielder hit the free agent market.
Avisail Garcia has opted out of his Brewers deal. Had very good year, not a surprise. Free agent OF market growing stronger almost by the hour.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) November 4, 2021
- And another one, as Kevin Pillar and the Mets both declined their respective sides of a mutual option.
- Andrew Chafin declined his side of a mutual option, making him a free agent.
- Knowing nothing else about this guy, I hope he thrives.
Tsuyoshi Shinjo was introduced as the new manager of the Nippon-Ham Fighters today.— Michael Mayer (@mikemayer22) November 4, 2021
He told reporters he wanted to be addressed as Big Boss. pic.twitter.com/iRmdPQLK84
- Maury Brown at Forbes details a recent deal Atlanta made to figure out how baseball is doing financially since the pandemic hit.
- Mike Axisa at CBS Sports listed the top 20 trade candidates this winter. The M’s are mentioned several times as potential suitors.
- These guys would both make interesting candidates for Seattle.
Matt Carpenter and Carlos Martinez are, as expected, free agents. #Cardinals decline options, officially.— Derrick S. Goold (@dgoold) November 4, 2021
- Oh yeah, Robinson Canó is still in baseball. And the Mariners have to pay part of his salary.
Robinson Cano’s 162-game suspension has been served. He was reinstated from the restricted list officially on Wednesday. He is back on the active roster, which also means on the payroll. The #Mets owe him $40.5M the next 2 yrs (the #Mariners are paying $7.5M).— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) November 4, 2021
- Don’t worry, we aren’t done with the option declinings.
Earlier today, OF Brett Gardner declined his player option, and the Yankees declined his club option. He is now a free agent.— New York Yankees (@Yankees) November 5, 2021
Additionally, RHP Darren O’Day declined his player option, and the Yankees declined his club option. He is now a free agent.
- Buster Posey cited wanting to spend time with his family and the toll the sport has taken on his body as reasons for his retirement.