Hello everyone! With the offseason underway, we’ve got a whole bunch of news to get to. Here’s what’s happening in baseball.
In Mariners news...
- I’m sure there’s no reason that Mark Canha would be in Seattle on a dreary November day.
Around the league...
- Corey Seager reportedly turned down an extension offer from the Dodgers.
- Dusty Baker, whose contract is up at the end of this season, is expected to re-sign with the Astros.
- They will, however, lose a pretty important member of their coaching staff.
Astors pitching coach Brent Strom said he won’t return as Major League pitching coach— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) November 3, 2021
- Jake Mailhot over at Fangraphs pondered the future of the Oakland A’s.
- We have our first free agent signing of the offseason!
The Brewers have signed right-hander Trevor Gott to a one-year major-league contract, a source tells @TheAthletic. Spent all of last season with Giants at Triple A.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 3, 2021
- We also have our first trade of the offseason.
Tigers trading 3B prospect Nick Quintana to Reds for catcher Tucker Barnhart, as @cmccosky reported. Barnhart has a $7.5m option for next season.— Jason Beck (@beckjason) November 3, 2021
- The Reds general manager alluded to his intentions to shed payroll in a statement regarding the trade.
- Nick Castellanos opted out of the remainder of his contract with the Reds, making him a free agent.
- Buster Posey is planning to announce his retirement today.