Good morning everyone and happy Wednesday! Let’s get you caught up on what happened around baseball yesterday.
In Playoff News...
- The Yankees’ season ended unceremoniously in a 6-2 defeat at the hands of the Red Sox in Fenway Park at the American League wild card game. Heads will likely roll in the Bronx this winter as the front office searches for answers to their 12-year World Series drought.
In Mariners news...
- Congratulations to José and Kristopher!
- The Mariners are making an investment in the space around the ballpark, likely in preparation for the upcoming All-Star Game festivities.
The @Mariners have signed a 23-year lease to take over and renovate the old Pyramid Brewhouse in SoDo, which will include "Steelheads Alley".— Chris Daniels (@ChrisDaniels5) October 6, 2021
Full details, images shortly on @KING5Seattle pic.twitter.com/WOGCqt1jx4
- We have our first likely Arizona Fall League participant.
Mariners prospect Luis Curvelo, a high-octane relief pitcher fresh off winning a U23 championship with Venezuela, will be participating for the Mariners in the Arizona Fall League pic.twitter.com/TDthjWCUKZ— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) October 5, 2021
- Goodbye, sweet prince.
#Mariners RHP Matt Andriese has elected free agency.— MiLB-Transactions (@tombaseball29) September 30, 2021
Around the league...
- The Colorado Rockies began their offseason in earnest, signing starting pitcher Antonio Senzatela to a five-year contract extension and first baseman C.J. Cron to a two-year deal.
- The Nationals are also bringing back a player for next year.
Source: The Nationals are resigning veteran shortstop Alcides Escobar to a one-year deal.— Jesse Dougherty (@dougherty_jesse) October 5, 2021
- Wow. Good for Eddie for living such a long and full life. May he rest in peace.
The Texas Rangers send their thoughts and prayers to the family of Eddie Robinson, who passed away on Monday night at age 100, the oldest living former major league player at the tine of his death. He served as Rangers GM from 1976-82. A life very well lived. He will be missed.— John Blake (@RangerBlake) October 5, 2021
- Don Wakamatsu is out with the Rangers.
Bench coach Don Wakamatsu and hitting coach Luis Ortiz are out — asst. hitting coach Callix Crabbe and run production coordinator Alex Burg in limbo. These days are never fun.— Levi Weaver (@ThreeTwoEephus) October 5, 2021
- Aaron Boone puts some respect on the Mariners’ name. However, I think he’s a little high on the Angels.
Aaron Boone mentions the Blue Jays, the Mariners and the Angels (besides the AL teams already in the playoffs) as AL teams that are equal or are catching up with the Yankees, and the reason why they have to get better.— Marly Rivera (@MarlyRiveraESPN) October 6, 2021
- With the season now fully in the rear view mirror, Devan Fink at Fangraphs analyzes the frequency of the home run ball before and after the league’s ball changes.
- Congratulations to Dan, who will be running the new Kraken website here at SBN! Also, that’s a kickass name for the blog.