Hello everyone and happy Thursday! Here’s what you need to know as you start your day.
In playoff news...
- Blowout wins have been the theme of this year’s playoffs and last night was no different. José Urquidy held the red-hot Atlanta bats in check to help the Astros to a series-tying 7-2 victory yesterday. The two teams are off today and will resume the series in Atlanta tomorrow.
In Mariners news...
- The fun times never stop at High Performance Camp.
Ping pong is serious business around these parts pic.twitter.com/T6fYhu75YH— Mariners Player Development (@MsPlayerDev) October 28, 2021
- Sam Carlson told his story in this neat feature. The right-hander is one of many minor leaguers who could be taken in the Rule 5 if the team chooses not to add him to the 40-man.
- Congratulations to Logan and his fiancée!
- High Performance Camp is about more than playing baseball.
Putting those Spanish lessons into practice pic.twitter.com/Y0jnaUQdku— Mariners Player Development (@MsPlayerDev) October 27, 2021
- Another M’s prospect will be making some noise this fall.
The Mariners’ Penn Murfee is headed to LIDOM to play for Escogido. If you have MLB TV’s off-season plan you’ll be able to watch him, along with other Mariners prospects, play some winter league ball. pic.twitter.com/JzjhOmUHxr— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) October 27, 2021
Around the league...
- Tom Verducci at Sports Illustrated wrote about the incredible foursome of recently-acquired Atlanta outfielders who are propelling this team to postseason success.
- Bob Nightengale makes the case for a boycott of the Atlanta baseball team’s nickname in light of recent news that the league has no plans to pressure the organization to change it.
- As evidenced here, Rob Manfred has no idea what he is talking about regarding Atlanta and its relationship with the local Native American tribes.
National Congress of American Indians responds to Rob Manfred’s assertions about the Braves and the tomahawk chop: "Nothing could be further from the truth.” pic.twitter.com/CjzSzt56sV— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) October 27, 2021
- Congratulations to this beloved former Mariner!
Nelson Cruz is the 2021 Roberto Clemente Award winner!— MLB (@MLB) October 27, 2021
Thanks to his charitable work in his native Dominican Republic, Cruz is the 50th winner of the prestigious honor. pic.twitter.com/8yRsLW9Ehr
- This shouldn’t come as a huge surprise; most top pitching prospects have already hit their innings cap so you’re bound to see more top hitters at the AFL.
The Arizona Fall League began two weeks ago today.— Sam Dykstra (@SamDykstraMiLB) October 27, 2021
AFL pitchers collectively have a 6.02 ERA.
AFL batters collectively have a .262/.378/.427 slash line and .805 OPS.
The leaguewide walk rate is 14.6 percent.
- Jesse Rogers at ESPN wrote about Carlos Correa’s penchant for playing in the postseason. Hidden within the piece is a quote from the infielder in which he states his strange desire to play for a rebuilding ball club.
- A roller derby team in Cleveland is suing the Guardians for taking their team name.
- The Marlins have agreed to a two-year contract extension with shortstop Miguel Rojas.