Good morning everyone! Here are some links to kick off your Wednesday.
In Mariners news...
- Kyle Lewis picks up some more hardware.
- Taylor Trammell was one of many making their voices heard in Georgia yesterday.
- Matt Wallach at Pitcher List tries to sort out the Statcast mystery that is Ty France.
Around the league...
- Rob Mains at Baseball Prospectus digs into the Cubs’ financial situation to find out just how much they lost in 2020. ($)
- Brittany Ghiroli at The Athletic provides some ideas on how to stop MLB teams from tanking. ($)
- Major League Baseball is cracking down on teams who are using their facilities before spring training starts.
- On their latest podcast with The Ringer, the Baseball BBQ boys try to figure out what is the best pitch of all time.
- Another minor free agent is off the board.
The Tigers are nearing a deal with OF Robbie Grossman, sources tell me and @Ken_Rosenthal. Terms are 2 years, $10 million plus performance bonuses.— Cody Stavenhagen (@CodyStavenhagen) January 5, 2021
- Meanwhile, the rich get richer in Hollywood.
The #Dodgers re-sign Blake Treinen to a two-year, $17 million contract that includes an $8 million club option or $1 million buyout.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) January 6, 2021
- It was reported yesterday that the Single-A and Double-A seasons are likely to be delayed until June.
- Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic reports that Cleveland is having trouble finding an acceptable deal for Francisco Lindor. ($)
- Pitch nerds out there are going to have a blast with this.
So hey, here's a fun (if somewhat complicated) new thing.— Mike Petriello (@mike_petriello) January 6, 2021
Now on Baseball Savant: Now you can see the measured spin direction (thanks, Hawk-Eye!) of each pitcher's pitches, and compare them to the observed. So here's the man, Shane Bieber.
MORE-> https://t.co/A3plT9znOr pic.twitter.com/dLCUuIVZ7Y