Good morning everyone! Let’s get you the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- Alright, this graphic is pretty awesome.
- The Mariners announced several moves within the front office.
Around the league...
- The Cardinals have agreed to a deal with the Rockies to acquire Nolan Arenado. At the moment I’m writing this, we’re still waiting for details on the return for Colorado, but it isn’t expected to be anything substantial considering the salary St. Louis is taking on.
- Griffey’s got a new job at the Commissioner’s Office.
BREAKING: The Kid joins MLB …— MLB (@MLB) January 29, 2021
Ken Griffey Jr. will serve as Sr. Advisor to the Commissioner with an emphasis on baseball operations, youth development and improving diversity at all levels of the game. pic.twitter.com/GMAF7fSOtr
- Dennis Young at The New York Daily News wrote about Griffey’s potential impact in the position.
- It was a big day for free agent outfield signings, as the Cubs agreed to a deal with Joc Pederson.
- Eddie Rosario signed a one-year pact with Cleveland, allowing him to stay in the division.
- In non-outfielder news...
- Infielder Daniel Murphy has decided to retire.
- Craig Edwards announced that he is leaving Fangraphs to join the MLBPA.
- It wouldn’t make much sense for him to be anywhere else.
Yadier Molina is expected to sign with the #STLCards after the Caribbean Series, if not before then, source says. @ElNuevoDia was the first to report that St. Louis had made Molina a 1-year offer and that he is likely to sign soon. @MLB @MLBNetwork @LasMayores— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) January 29, 2021
- Wilson Ramos has landed in Detroit, signing a one-year contract with the Tigers.