In Mariners news...
- Our very own Michael Ajeto hopped over to Pitcher List to write up a big team preview piece for the M’s.
- I’m very excited to see him bring it in what should be a pretty interesting bullpen for the Mariners.
When asked who he is most excited to see in Spring Training, after stating lots of guys, #Mariners pitching coach Pete Woodworth answered Kendall Graveman.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) January 28, 2021
“Dude’s on a mission.”
- Larry Stone at The Seattle Times wrote about Kyle Seager and his perspective on a rebuilding club.
- Corey Brock at The Athletic also spoke to Seager about whether or not the third baseman will be around in future years, and how he’s approaching 2021. ($)
Around the league...
- Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic reports that the Rockies and Cardinals are in talks regarding a possible Nolan Arenado trade. ($)
- Wow, you don’t see stuff like this a lot.
Pretty cool color footage of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL), which existed from 1943-1954 pic.twitter.com/ch3UhyaVuI— Ben Porter (@Ben13Porter) January 28, 2021
- Keith Law at The Athletic wrote up his top 100 prospects piece for the 2021 season. This is the lowest by far I’ve seen anyone have Julio Rodríguez in their rankings. ($)
- Masahiro Tanaka wrote about his decision to return to Japan.
- Another huge opportunity for a woman in professional baseball.
Significant news from the Brewers: They have promoted Sara Goodrum to Minor League hitting coordinator, making her the first woman in baseball history to serve in that role. Her official title is Coordinator - Hitting Development Initiatives.— Adam McCalvy (@AdamMcCalvy) January 28, 2021
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic dives into the team-wide projections for the 2021 season. ($)
- The Cubs added a new arm to their staff.
The #Cubs have agreed to terms with RHP Kohl Stewart on a 2021 major league contract. pic.twitter.com/QRlUkRWxwk— Chicago Cubs (@Cubs) January 28, 2021
- Get ready for some drama in D.C.
This will be interesting, given that Max Scherzer was caught on camera in 2018 very exaggeratedly telling someone in the Chase Field stands that Avila didn't have it anymore. https://t.co/mhrSjzgCr4— Zach Buchanan (@ZHBuchanan) January 28, 2021
- The Cardinals agreed to terms on a one-year deal that brings back right-hander Adam Wainwright.
We are pleased to announce MLBPAA's new Vice Presidents; Chipper Jones, Edgar Martinez and Barry Larkin!— MLBPAA (@MLBPAA) January 28, 2021
These three Hall of Famers will be joining existing VP's; Bob Boone, George Brett, Carl Erskine and Robin Yount.
Welcome to our team gentlemen! pic.twitter.com/zimjui2RmG
- Congratulations to our very own Amanda Lane, who was named a finalist for SABR’s Analytics Conference Research Awards under the category of Historical Baseball Analysis/Commentary.