Hey folks! Believe it or not, we’re less than a month away from spring training games starting (in theory). You may not realize it yet because the league has made absolutely no decisions on either rules or on whether or not they’ll play 162 games in the middle of a pandemic. However, teams are still signing and trading like there’s going to be a season. So let’s get to the latest from around the sport.
In Mariners news...
- Julio is ready for the season to start.
I can’t wait to go to spring training!!!!!!! ⏳ pic.twitter.com/Qk2ZPcS8Tq— Julio Rodriguez (@J_RODshow) January 27, 2021
- Ryan Divish at The Seattle Times spoke to the other top outfield prospect, Jarred Kelenic, about his expectations going into 2021.
Around the league...
- Ryan Fagan at Sporting News suggested that BBWAA remove J.G. Taylor Spink’s name from the award that is currently named after him.
- A Seattle-area prospect is making some noise.
6-foot-7 RHP Max Debiec (Seattle, WA) has one of the more projectable bodies in the 2021 Draft. Armed w/a fastball that's touched 97 and an assortment of breaking balls and a developing changeup, Debiec figures to be a hot name in the Top 100 picks.— Joe (@JoeDoyleMiLB) January 27, 2021
- Mike Fiers noted that he would like to re-sign with the A’s for 2021.
- This looks so painful.
Someone once asked me why my pitches were so much better.— Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez) January 27, 2021
Flexibility my friends...my fingers were so flexible they stayed in contact with the ball quite a bit longer, so I could put more spin on the ball.
No, I am not an alien...or am I? #doublejointed #flexibility #45 #FAQ pic.twitter.com/JaJ4prqv3t
- Zack Scott has been named the interim general manager for the Mets.
- The Yankees bolstered their bullpen by agreeing to a deal with right-hander Darren O’Day.
- They weren’t the only team in New York to add a bullpen arm.
Aaron Loup agrees to Mets deal. 1 year. @AnthonyDiComo and @Ken_Rosenthal 1st— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) January 27, 2021
- The Mets also made a major trade, sending Steven Matz to the Blue Jays for three prospects.
- C’mon Seattle, he’s right there.
The #WhiteSox have shown no interest, and say they have not even engaged in internal conversations about DH Nelson Cruz.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) January 28, 2021
Cruz, barring a major surprise, still is expected to return to the #Twins.
- With the Hall of Fame results in, Jay Jaffe at Fangraphs broke down each candidate’s performance on the ballot this year.
- Major League Baseball isn’t the only American sports league dealing with labor strife. The Athletic reports that Major League Soccer is also headed to a potential work stoppage. ($)