Good morning everybody and happy Friday! Here’s the latest from around the sport.
In Mariners news...
- Let’s hope there is as normal of a spring training as possible so we can see them in games!
Dipoto confirms Julio Rodriguez and Jared Kelenic will be in Major League camp this year. It will be a little different as minor league camp will not start until the big league camp finishes so the younger players will get an extra ST as they wait for minor lg season to start.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) January 21, 2021
- Real fans in the stands in Seattle is not out of the question for this year.
The hope is fans will be in the stands at T-Mobile Park at some point in 2021 and that it depends on what Seattle, King County and the state of Washington decides, Jerry Dipoto said. Adds that it'd likely happen during the second half of the season.— Brandon Gustafson (@TheBGustafson) January 21, 2021
- Daniel Kramer wrote about a longtime Seattle ballpark tradition, the hydro races.
Around the league...
- The market is heating up on the two best free agents still on the board, with a recent report suggesting Trevor Bauer is likely to wind up with either the Angels or the Mets.
- Meanwhile, the Phillies have reportedly made a six-figure offer to backstop J.T. Realmuto.
- However, Philadelphia isn’t the only team in on Realmuto. The Braves — and seemingly the Angels if you read between the lines here — are still in the mix.
Braves circling on free-agent catcher J.T. Realmuto, according to league sources. Other teams on the west coast are expressing interest.— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) January 21, 2021
- Several MLB reporters got together to guess where the sport’s top free agents could go. The M’s were tied to a player I haven’t seen mentioned much this winter.
- Michael Clair ranks the best nicknames in the sport right now.
- J.J. Cooper at Baseball America tackles 13 prospects that he thinks could break out in 2021. A pair of Mariners were mentioned here. ($)
- An American Association team has changed its name to honor a former Negro Leagues club of the same name.
- The Blue Jays continue to strengthen their roster.
The Blue Jays have officially announced their signing of RHP Tyler Chatwood to a one-year, $3M contract. To make room on the 40-man roster, RHP Anthony Castro has been designated for assignment.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) January 21, 2021
- We’ll see how the Hall rules in this case.
Source: Numerous National Baseball HOF voters have reached out to the Hall hoping to amend their ballots, removing their votes for Curt Schilling after he supported the seditious acts in Washington D.C. 2 weeks ago. HOF officials are concerned about the precedent this could set.— M@ (@MattSpiegel670) January 21, 2021
- Congratulations to Theresa!
brief journey into the good news bin: Brewers announce the promotion of Theresa Lau to their big league training staff pic.twitter.com/xbGoP69mEj— Bradford William Davis (@_beewilly) January 21, 2021
- For the job hunters out there: The MLB Hall of Fame is hiring a Digital Content Specialist. Check out the opportunity if that sounds interesting to you!