We may be scoreboard watching in Seattle, but there are other storylines in baseball right now than just the standings. Let’s get right to it.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic assesses the Mariners’ chances of punching a ticket to the postseason. ($)
- Taylor Trammell pens an honest piece at The Players’ Tribune about Black representation in baseball.
Around the league...
- Baseball nerds, it’s Christmas in September.
This is probably the coolest thing ever. @mlb just launched The Film Room. Search over 3+ MILLION MLB videos going all the way back to 1929 for free!!! Absolutely amazing work by those involved. Check it out here: ⬇️https://t.co/aBlkWclRvi— Daren Willman (@darenw) September 8, 2020
- Some major news out of Minor League Baseball, which is set to see a major overhaul this offseason.
MiLB announces President/CEO Pat O'Conner will retire. pic.twitter.com/6mKmSQUiHL— JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) September 8, 2020
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs tries to figure out what has caused the Yankees’ downfall.
- Andy McCullough at The Athletic tells the story of Oliver Pérez’s baseball rebirth. ($)
- The Brewers have cut ties with Justin Smoak.
- Many of you football fans — or Seattle sports fans in general — likely know about Mina Kimes, the Seattle sports fan who has made it big at ESPN. Check out this awesome Los Angeles Times piece on her journey.