Good morning everyone! As the postseason has now officially gotten underway, let’s take a look at the latest from around the sport.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic dissected Jerry Dipoto’s first offseason press conference. ($)
Around the league...
- Not everyone is a fan of the early start times, but as someone who has broadcasted MiLB games: I loved them.
Bob Melvin said he's not a fan of the noon starts: "But again it’s something that you just have to deal with." Notes that means A's are getting tested at 6:30 a.m., taking BP at 9 a.m., for a home playoff game— Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara) September 28, 2020
- Our very own Joe Doyle delivered his first 2021 MLB mock draft over at Prospects Live.
- Might set a record for earliest time in the “offseason” to sign an extension, as it was signed hours before their first postseason game.
The Houston #Astros sign slugger Yuli Gurriel to a one-year, $7 million contract, keeping him from free agency. He will earn $6.5 million in 2021 with a $8 million option or $500,000 buyout in 2022— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) September 29, 2020
- In a slight surprise, Twins third baseman Josh Donaldson did not make the postseason roster due to a calf issue.
- Meg Rowley at Fangraphs unveiled the staff’s postseason predictions.