Good morning everyone! Let’s get you the latest from around baseball.
In Mariners news...
- We’ve got a Taylor Trammell sighting in Tacoma!
- Corey Brock at The Athletic spoke to Jerry Dipoto about his thoughts on the M’s deadline deals. ($)
- Corey Brock also talked to Trammell about his new opportunity in Seattle. ($)
- Get yourself some AquaSox gear before the sale runs out!
SALE ALERT— Everett AquaSox (@EverettAquaSox) September 2, 2020
Starting Friday, September 4 at 8 a.m., enjoy 20% off our entire store (yes, you heard that correctly. EVERYTHING)
Sale ends at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, September 7.
- Jonathan Mayo at MLB answered a number of questions regarding the Mariners farm system.
Around the league...
- Major League Baseball announced that it would allow fall instructional camps to proceed this year.
- Zach Buchanan at The Athletic tells the story of Chadwick Boseman’s experience learning baseball for his role in the movie 42. ($)
- Aroldis Chapman finds himself suspended for throwing a pitch at a batter.
BREAKING: #Yankees LHP Aroldis Chapman has been suspended three games for “intentionally throwing a pitch at the head area of Mike Brosseau,“ MLB announces— Sam Dykstra (@SamDykstraMiLB) September 2, 2020
Aaron Boone, Kevin Cash have also each been suspended one game.
- This is some awful news.
Angels said they’d be paying $400/week stipends to MiLBers through August. That was false. Several players have told us they didn’t see a dime from the Angels last month. No other MLB team has shown such apathy toward providing for players' basic needs.— Advocates for Minor Leaguers (@MiLBAdvocates) September 2, 2020
- Tom Seaver, one of the all-time great pitchers, died on Monday at 75. May he rest in peace.
- ESPN tells the behind-the-scenes story of the decision to contract the minor leagues.
- José Urquidy should return to action for the Astros soon.
- In other Astros news, Houston has released Fernando Rodney. Bring him home?
- Some major news out of Hollywood yesterday as actor John Boyega was featured in the cover story at GQ in which he expressed frustration about his treatment at Star Wars and his experience with racism.