In Mariners news...
- We got a few updates on some injured Mariners position players this weekend. It sounds, unsurprisingly, like Tom Murphy, Mitch Haniger, and Shed Long are all gearing up for spring training in 2021.
- Surgery remains an option for Shed Long Jr. to address the stress fracture in his shin.
Around the league...
- The big news of the weekend in MLB is Justin Verlander being pegged for Tommy John surgery. There’s little precedent of a player of his age coming back with good results.
someone smarter than me will definitely write this piece soon but a quick glance at @MLBPlayerAnalys's fantastic Tommy John database suggests that the only pitcher to have TJ after age-36 (already a small group) AND come back at a similar performance level was Billy Wagner— Céspedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) September 19, 2020
- Several teams appear to have made today their determination point for Players To Be Named Later. The Mets named a pair of minor leaguers sent away.
RHP Steven Villines is the PTBNL from the Mets in the Ariel Jurado deal.— Levi Weaver (@ThreeTwoEephus) September 20, 2020
25, has a career minor league record of 10-7 with a 2.67 ERA, 18 saves, and 191 strikeouts in 155.0 IP in 107 relief appearances with the Mets organization from 2017-19.
Mets announce IF Victor Gonzalez has been sent to the Orioles to complete the Miguel Castro trade.— Tim Britton (@TimBritton) September 20, 2020
- The Phillies also announced the acquisition of a minor league reliever. Presumably, all players announced are subsequently being added to their teams’ player pools.
Phillies acquired RHP Joel Cesar from the Pirates as the PTBNL for Austin Davis. Cesar added to player pool.— Corey Seidman (@CSeidmanNBCS) September 20, 2020
- The Athletics have broken the hearts of haberdashers and boutique barbers across the Bay Area, designating RHP Daniel Mengden for assignment.
- Two players and one staffer have tested positive for COVID-19 at the Brewers alternate site.
- Gary Hughes, beloved scout, coach, and executive across several organizations including the 1977 Mariners, has passed away.
- With Ron Gardenhire retiring to focus on his health, a number of options have come up as possibilities to take over the Detroit Tigers managerial role.
#Tigers expected to consider A.J. Hinch, Will Venable, George Lombard, Vance Wilson, Don Kelly, Pedro Grifol, and Mike Redmond for managerial vacancy, among others, in addition to internal candidate Lloyd McClendon. Strong list for an appealing job. @MLBNetwork @MLB— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) September 20, 2020
- Reds righty Tyler Thornburg has undergone Tommy John surgery.
- Dan Szymborski of FanGraphs wrote about whether the apparent sudden decline and injury-uptick of José Altuve has waylaid his chances of getting 3,000 hits.
- Is 2020 the year a DH wins MVP? Anthony Castrovince argues Nelson Cruz has a deserving case.
- Do you remember all these quotes?
mlb players once said... pic.twitter.com/ExedgMk5Jy— out of context baseball (@baseballcontext) September 20, 2020
- Trevor Bauer remains himself.
Trevor Bauer's postgame t-shirt: "Houston cheated." #Reds— Bobby Nightengale (@nightengalejr) September 20, 2020
- Tim Anderson, however, remains himself as well.
Tim Anderson after hitting a bomb off Trevor Bauer: “I’m gonna tell him to put that on his YouTube channel too.” pic.twitter.com/nDxaDTQgeC— Danny Vietti (@DannyVietti) September 20, 2020
- John Perrotto talked to Cubs outfielder Cameron Maybin about the growth of the Players Alliance, and awareness of the importance of player unity.