Good morning everyone! While the Mariners are experiencing something of a break from games to ensure everyone stays healthy, the sport continues onward. Here’s the latest, with post-deadline fallout still front and center.
Programming Note from Kate:
If you are wondering where Mariners baseball is, the series has been postponed after someone in the A’s organization tested positive for COVID-19. Originally they were just going to cancel the first two games of the series, but now have banged all three, opting to reschedule with a doubleheader on September 14th, taking away a precious off-day, and another on the 26th. Nothing about COVID-19 is fair, but it sucks to be affected by it, nonetheless. We’ll be back with you for the series preview and game threads and recaps starting on Friday for the Texas series. In the meantime, there’s plenty of content and trade breakdowns to read on the site (or listen to on the podcast), or now is a fantastic time to catch up with Amanda’s series on baseball in Seattle in 1918! (This will also be a podcast episode tomorrow, featuring Amanda’s podcast debut.)
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic takes a deep dive into the Mariners’ big trade with the Padres. ($)
- As expected, the Mariners announced a flurry of roster moves in advance of their upcoming series against the Rangers this weekend (the “more” not mentioned in this tweet was Zac Grotz getting outrighted to Tacoma).
#Mariners announce roster moves:— Mariners PR (@MarinersPR) September 1, 2020
· Ty France, INF, added to active roster.
· Luis Torrens, C, added to active roster.
· Joe Hudson, C, optioned to alt. training site.
· Donovan Walton, INF, optioned to alt. training site.
- And in a separate roster move, Braden Bishop continues to get the yo-yo treatment as Kendall Graveman goes to the bullpen.
Mariners have reinstated RH Kendall Graveman from the 10-day Injured List and optioned OF Braden Bishop to alternate training site. Graveman will be given a shot in the bullpen after dealing with neck issue that affected him in longer outings.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) September 2, 2020
Around the league...
- Eric Longenhagen at Fangraphs ranks all of the prospects dealt at the trade deadline, with Taylor Trammell highlighting the group.
- Craig Edwards at Fangraphs doles out his superlatives for the deadline.
- The kids are alright.
- Juan Soto to Fernando Tatis Jr.: "MVP! MVP! MVP!"— Héctor Gómez (@hgomez27) September 1, 2020
- Fernando Tatis Jr. to Juan Soto: “My boy! We gonna finish 1st and 2nd on the MVP race (No matter who’s first). As long as it stays on our country I’m happy. Keeping the faith in god.” pic.twitter.com/SpLEy2xyyu
- The Marlins made a post-deadline call-up, as toolsy shortstop Jazz Chisholm was placed on the active roster.
- In some former-Mariners news, Dan Vogelbach was DFA’d by the Blue Jays after Toronto acquired a number of big leaguers at the deadline.
- This is such a funny commercial, mostly because I can’t believe they got Bill Belichick to do this.
The Bill Belichick Subway Commercial pic.twitter.com/Qzj1q1EFFl— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) September 1, 2020