We’ve got folks moving and headed to school and just plain tuckered, but here are some brunchable links before today’s matinee game.
In Mariners News...
- Per Greg Johns, the Mariners are unlikely to make many more moves this deadline season, as their promising bullpen options have filled the IL in recent days.
- Ljay Newsome appears to have earned himself another turn in the rotation, though the positive test in the A’s organization for COVID may impact Seattle’s upcoming series scheduled with the A’s.
Mariners upcoming pitching probables have Ljay Newsome now in the rotation in what would have been Taijuan Walker’s spot Tuesday vs. A’s. pic.twitter.com/T3f5Z3noHO— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) August 30, 2020
- Taijuan Walker had a sharp first start in a Blue Jays uniform.
- The Mariners clearly need help in their bullpen, but not much is looming imminently in the alternate site.
Kendall Graveman has been throwing at the alternate site. The Mariners could bring him back as a reliever as shorter outings are not bothering his neck as much.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) August 29, 2020
As for the other relievers on the IL, only Brandon Brennan and Austin Adams have thrown off the mound.
- Congratulations to Dylan Moore and his wife Paola!
Around the League...
- The hot stove has caught fire! Despite uncertainty around Monday’s trade deadline, several moves have been made already, including...
- The Rays made another move, dealing lefty-mashing 1B/OF/DH Jose Martinez to the Cubs for a pair of PTBNL.
- Tampa also announced versatile LHP Jalen Beeks will undergo Tommy John Surgery after a brilliant start to 2020.
- Longtime red-wearer Mitch Moreland will need to learn to be True To The Brown, as the Red Sox dealt the platoon 1B/DH to the Padres for a pair of prospects: 3B Hudson Potts and OF Jeisson Rosario.
- The Red Sox have called up top prospect Bobby Dalbec to fill Moreland’s spot.
- Boston also sent RHP Nathan Eovaldi to the IL yesterday with a calf strain.
- In case you missed it, the Padres also acquired RHP reliever Trevor Rosenthal from the Royals.
- LHP Tommy Milone pitched his way into a deadline deal, moving from the Orioles to the Braves for a pair of PTBNL.
- Yu Darvish showed off yet another new pitch, the man is a marvel.
- In less exciting news, the first in-season positive player tests have hit the AL West, with the Athletics announcing a player testing positive. The Astros-A’s game today has been postponed.
- Additionally, the Astros have shut down their alternate site yet again after another positive test.
- The Mets sent a couple more pitchers to the IL, with LHP Steven Matz hitting the bench due to left shoulder discomfort and RHP Dellin Betances down due to right lat tightness.
- Following the tragic passing of Chadwick Boseman, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum announced they will be placing the Kansas City Monarchs uniform Boseman wore in his portrayal of Jackie Robinson in ‘42’.
- The Nationals signed UTIL Brock Holt, transferring INF Starlin Castro to the 60-day IL to make space.
- It’s not as easy as it looks.