Hello folks! Yesterday was a very eventful one in the world of sports, with baseball partially participating in a massive social movement in support of Black lives. Let’s get to all of that and more in today’s links.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners’ starting rotation has been better than you think.
Best rotations by FIP:— Alex Fast (@AlexFast8) August 26, 2020
1. Reds: 3.18
2. Indians: 3.48
3. Cubs: 3.80
4. Padres: 3.84
5. Twins: 4.00
6. Mets: 4.01
7. White Sox: 4.03
8. Giants: 4.17
9. Phillies: 4.20
10. Mariners: 4.25
Around the league...
- Unlike with the Mariners, Padres, Giants, Dodgers, Brewers, and Reds, where whole teams decided to sit out yesterday, some players were alone on their teams in the strike. In Chicago, Jason Heyward sat out while the Cubs played. Matt Kemp of the Rockies also did not play while his team proceeded to compete.
- In related news, Dom Smith of the Mets was the lone player on his team to kneel for the National Anthem.
Dom Smith takes a knee during the national anthem before tonight's game. pic.twitter.com/E5zmpIW0yi— SNY (@SNYtv) August 26, 2020
- Major League Baseball appears to be making progress on a potential playoff bubble (or bubbles).
Not close to final, but postseason plan at “controlled sites” being discussed, per sources: AL in southern California, NL in Texas. World Series possibly at Rangers’ new ballpark. League talking with union about possibilities. Final plan would be subject to ownership approval.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 26, 2020
- This, from Tuesday, may be the defensive play of the season. It’s certainly in the discussion.
The Best Defensive CF in @MLB™ just put the "THROW" in VICTOR THROWBLES...— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) August 26, 2020
...to turn the most spectacular double play we've ever seen.
(The throw went 288 feet on the fly.)@Victor__Robles // #NATITUDE pic.twitter.com/rudea3pcFV
- Brittany Ghiroli at The Athletic wonders why some teams are opting to allow fans at their alternate site but not scouts. ($)
- Travis Sawchik at FiveThirtyEight looks back at a historic draft class for the Cleveland Indians that has produced almost their entire starting rotation.
- Tony Wolfe at Fangraphs thinks that Mike Trout could stand to be more aggressive at the plate.
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs took a deep dive through Lucas Giolito’s no-hitter.
- There’s a notion among those in the industry that the NBA season is more or less over. Hard to imagine a season without LeBron James.
Sources: The Lakers and Clippers have voted to boycott the NBA season. Most other teams voted to continue. LeBron James has exited the meeting.— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) August 27, 2020
- In the WNBA, one team made a heck of a statement.
The Washington Mystics wear T-shirts spelling out Jacob Blake's name on the front.— The Undefeated (@TheUndefeated) August 26, 2020
On the back, seven bullet holes. pic.twitter.com/bNSzdQ779N
- Keep an eye out for these awesome shirts!