We’ve crested August’s midsection, with links aplenty to buoy us into the second half.
In Mariners News...
- While we don’t always have in depth content on the weekends, Mikey Ajeto has whipped up a couple deep dives. Yesterday, on Erik Swanson getting the most from his velo, but still getting crushed, and today on old Kyle Seager learning some new tricks.
- Some Tacoma enthusiasm from Andy McKay.
Joking aside, we love Tacoma even more than we love this photo. The entire Rainiers organization has gone above and beyond to host our taxi squad this summer. We continue to be grateful for the wonderful partnership. And yes, we love Noelvi Marte as well. https://t.co/11Rb73BHlM— Andy McKay (@AndyMcKayHG) August 15, 2020
- Several former and current competitors took umbrage with Jon Heyman highlighting Evan White’s struggles and questioning if his extension was premature.
Around The League...
- MLB is celebrating the 100 year anniversary of the Negro National League. The Undefeated re-upped their lengthy piece on Hall of Famer Rube Foster, who put the league in motion.
- This is an injuries-heavy links session, sadly. The Braves placed OF Ronald Acuña Jr. on the IL with left wrist inflammation.
- DJ LeMahieu hit the injured list with a thumb sprain, joining Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton in the Yankees infirmary. The Bombers called up Miguel Andujar to fill the spot.
- The Astros placed Michael Brantley on the IL, calling up Jack Mayfield for some outfield depth.
- The White Sox lost OF Leury Garcia for the year, as a severed ligament in his thumb will have him out through October.
- Cardinals OF prospect Dylan Carlson debuted yesterday as St. Louis got back in action finally. He’s an impressive player, but he has a rather relatable weakness.
also: Carlson’s answer for “what are you bad at?” at last year’s Futures Game is still one of the funniest and most surprising answers to any question we’ve ever asked pic.twitter.com/VFdTQ5Vbqa https://t.co/3MflQgxEzV— Céspedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) August 15, 2020
- Catching prospect depth is a luxury the Dodgers are grateful for, as they place C Will Smith on the IL and call up C Keibert Ruiz, both viewed among the league’s top backstop prospects.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post spoke with 10 front office execs, who expect a quiet trade deadline in light of uncertainty with the season, as well as limited risk of missing the playoffs for any top clubs, even those who’ve started slowly.
- Rob Arthur of Baseball Prospectus ($) wrote about the relatively smooth transition for MLB from Trackman to Hawkeye for their data tracking.
- Sean Gibson, the great-grandson of Josh Gibson, makes a pitch for swapping Kenesaw Mountain Landis’ name for Josh Gibson’s on MLB’s MVP award.
- Phillies outfielder Roman Quinn has hit the injured list, putting the Phillies in a thin spot with their outfield depth.
- The Mets have designated Brian Dozier for assignment.
The Mets have designated Brian Dozier for assignment.— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) August 16, 2020
Pitcher Franklyn Kilome is back up to the active roster.
- Baseball is weird, and short season baseball all the weirder.