Happy Saturday folks! Well, last night certainly could have gone better. But we’ve got that first one under our belt now. Here’s what you need to know today.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it...Kyle Lewis’ home run yesterday was one for the books.
At 438 ft, @KLew_5 checks in with the longest home run hit off Verlander since August of 2017...the blast was the 5th-longest HR Verlander has allowed in the Statcast era.— Adam Gresch (@adamgresch) July 25, 2020
- Samuel Hale and Darius Austin at Baseball Prospectus wrote a call-up profile for Evan White. ($)
- We have some updates from minor league camp.
Patrick Wisdom has hit two homers today's alternative site spring training game -- one off of Aaron Fletcher and another off of Erik Swanson— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) July 24, 2020
- In case you didn’t know, the M’s are young.
From the game notes, the Mariners are fielding the youngest team in MLB with an average age of 27 years 259 days. Padres, Marlins, Tigers, Royals follow.— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) July 24, 2020
Around the league...
- Yoenis Céspedes homered for the first time in two years, and boy did I miss seeing this.
- It came down to the wire, but the Blue Jays will officially play all of their home games this season in Buffalo.
- Some sad news and a reminder of just how serious this all is: Eduardo Rodriguez has heart complications due to his having COVID-19.
- The owner of the Red Sox seems a little peeved that the Dodgers signed Mookie Betts to a 12-year deal.
Tom Werner on @OMFonWEEI: "When people are partying in LA, I just want to remind LA that in the last 20 years, Los Angeles has won zero World Series and the Red Sox have won four. I’ve got nothing to be complaining about regarding our past."— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) July 24, 2020
- Alden Gonzalez at ESPN wrote about Betts’ change of heart on kneeling for the anthem.
- Rustin Dodd at The Athletic wrote about the significance of Luis Rojas managing an MLB club as a Dominican, and how the league still needs to improve in that facet. ($)
- It looks like the team is taking this pretty seriously.
For today's opener, the team will be wearing their navy uniforms that say CLEVELAND instead of their usual home uniforms that display INDIANS across the chest.— Zack Meisel (@ZackMeisel) July 24, 2020
Francisco Lindor: "We can only change things by making people acknowledge and educate themselves that change is due."
- I’m honestly surprised this has ever happened before.
The starting 4 infield of Vlad Guerrero Jr., @doinitBIGgio23, @BoFlows, and @travis_shaw21 consists of all sons of former @MLB players. This is just the 2nd time in big league history this has happened (Van Slyke, Hairston Jr., De Jesus Jr., Gordon on 6/1/12).— MLB Stats (@MLBStats) July 25, 2020