Good morning folks! After a wild Opening Day in baseball, it’s time for the Mariners to get their 2020 season started. Major League Baseball was producing major news down to the wire yesterday, so let’s get to it.
In Mariners news...
- The M’s and ROOT Sports shot and developed a bunch of player gifs for the season, which they made public.
- Jarrett Seidler at Baseball Prospectus does his final round of Summer Camp notes on the AL West prospects. ($)
Around the league...
- At the last minute, Major League Baseball announced that the playoffs would be expanded to 16 teams for the 2020 season.
- It was also announced yesterday that Nationals star Juan Soto had tested positive for coronavirus, forcing Adam Kilgore at The Washington Post to reckon with just how dangerous this season could be for many players and their families.
- Rob Manfred was front-and-center for a somewhat ominous image on Opening Day.
- Anthony Fauci threw out yesterday’s first pitch in Washington, and it certainly could have been better.
- The Mets received a batch of good news, in that starter Marcus Stroman will not require surgery on his calf. He is considered week-to-week.
- In some not-great news for the Dodgers, Clayton Kershaw was a late scratch from last night’s start due to some back issues. He has landed on the 10-day injured list.
- Major League Baseball is expected to restart negotiations with Minor League Baseball regarding the latter’s future.
- This is...pretty disturbing actually.
No fans? Not on FOX Sports.— FOX Sports (@FOXSports) July 23, 2020
Thousands of virtual fans will attend FOX’s MLB games this Saturday. pic.twitter.com/z9oQU0rYuC
- Kevin Blackistone at The Washington Post recalls Carlos Delgado’s attempt to use his platform as a player to spark change.
- I don’t think we appreciate Yadier Molina enough.
Incredible: Yadier Molina will start his 16th straight #OpeningDay at catcher for the @Cardinals. With that, he breaks a tie with the @Yankees’ Bill Dickey for the longest streak of #OpeningDay starts, with a single team, of any catcher in @MLB history. @MLBNetwork @Yadimolina04— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 23, 2020
- The Royals are reportedly on the verge of inking right-hander Matt Harvey to a contract.
- Dan Szymborski at Fangraphs unveiled his 60-game ZiPS team projections.
- Our very own Michael Ajeto wrote about former Mariner Ben Gamel and a potential breakout on the horizon for the outfielder.
- The Cleveland Indians will meet with Native American groups as they mull over a potential name change.
- The Seattle Kraken will be the newest NHL team, coming to a sea near you!
- The NFL team formerly known as the Washington Redskins has officially rebranded to the Washington Football Team until they come to a consensus on a new team name.
- Matt Driscoll at The News Tribune says it’s time to rename Mount Rainier.