Hello folks! The day has finally arrived: Opening Day! Although the Mariners won’t play until tomorrow, real baseball that counts will be taking place today. Let’s get to the latest as we await first pitch.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic provides his bold predictions for the Mariners this season. ($)
Around the league...
- The biggest news to come out of yesterday once again involves the Dodgers, who finalized a massive 12-year deal with outfielder Mookie Betts. The deal assures that the Betts trade won’t be a lost one for the Dodgers in a truncated 2020 season.
- The Blue Jays find themselves in something of a bind. After reportedly agreeing to play their home games in Pittsburgh for the season, the State of Pennsylvania denied the request leaving the Jays homeless for now.
- Another last-minute discussion taking place in the commissioner’s office revolves around expanded playoffs. The league is considering adding to the number of teams who will make the playoffs this year.
- The Royals will be without one of their best players when their season opens.
The Royals announce Hunter Dozier has tested positive for COVID-19.— Kyle Glaser (@KyleAGlaser) July 22, 2020
- Not to be confused with the other Dozier, who found himself a home yesterday.
Source: the Mets have also signed Brian Dozier to a minor league deal.— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) July 22, 2020
- More news that paints a stark picture for the life of minor leaguers. Many of these players are knocking on the door of making their big league debuts and are risking their health to play this season.
More mistreatment of MiLBers: Some MLB teams are not paying for housing for MiLB players in the 60-man pool. They also aren't paying salaries yet (just the $400/wk stipend). That means some MiLB players are losing money right now by being in that pool of players.— Garrett Broshuis (@broshuis) July 22, 2020
- Speaking of health risks, not everyone has even made a decision yet as to whether they’ll take the chance of getting sick.
NY #Mets hitting coach Chili Davis said he still has not made a decision whether he will join the team this season with his health risks.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) July 22, 2020
- The latest superstar J2 signing for the Yankees is an athletic marvel.
- The Mets simply cannot catch a break when it comes to health in their starting rotation.
Mets news: Marcus Stroman is on the injured list with a muscle tear in his left calf.— Tim Healey (@timbhealey) July 22, 2020
Robert Gsellman is on the injured list with right triceps tightness.
- They’re not even trying to hide the reasoning anymore.
Source: #BlueJays Nate Pearson to be activated July 29. Team would gain additional year of control.— Jamie Campbell (@SNETCampbell) July 22, 2020
- Mike Trout erased any doubts that he would take part in the 2020 season, announcing his intentions to play.
- Reportedly, it’s finally happening: The NHL Seattle group is expected to officially announce what the team’s name will be today.
- We’ve even got a hype video in preparation for the announcement!
07.23.2020 - 9:00am PT— NHL Seattle (@NHLSeattle_) July 23, 2020
The 32nd franchise comes to life. pic.twitter.com/4J8k0UTEn3