Good morning everyone! Let’s get your Wednesday started with some links.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic gives his five biggest takeaways from Mariners camp so far ($).
- You can now buy a cutout of yourself to be placed in a seat at T-Mobile Park for the season!
- Despite Jarred Kelenic’s hot Summer Camp performance, the team is pumping the brakes on the idea of him cracking the big league roster already.
- The M’s have placed Yoshihisa Hirano on the injured list.
- Effectively Wild, a podcast from Fangraphs, previewed the Mariners on their latest episode.
Around the league...
- This is going to become another problem with the testing plan that MLB has.
George Springer is the second Astro to miss a workout while awaiting his COVID-19 test results. Alex Bregman missed one last week. The team canceled another workout due to delayed results.— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) July 14, 2020
- Just awful.
Masahiro Tanaka did not want to go into specifics, but he said that "there were some incidents" in Florida after the conclusion of Spring Training that prompted him to bring his family back to Japan.— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) July 14, 2020
- I’m almost surprised that more aren’t opting to sit out the season.
Sources: 11 Major League umpires have opted out or decided not to participate. Some are said to have family members who are ill.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) July 14, 2020
- The Yasiel Puig sweepstakes has finally come to a close as the outfielder signed a deal with the Braves.
- Man that it just...beautiful.
The bat flip— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) July 14, 2020
- Anthony Rizzo remains out of Cubs camp as he gets an MRI on his back.
- Former M’s prospect Nick Neidert is fighting for the fifth starter role in Miami as Summer Camp winds down.
- And in other former Mariners news...
Ben Gamel continues to bury the Summer Camp MVP Award with two-run HR. He totally changed his stance to look more like Yelich and has been hitting like Yelich in this camp.— Tom (@Haudricourt) July 14, 2020