Good morning folks! Let’s get to it on this Juneteenth.
In Mariners news...
- Corey Brock at The Athletic tells the story of one of Dave Niehaus’ most iconic phrases. ($)
- Tune in this morning for a special Juneteenth panel.
As our nation continues to grapple with how to combat systemic racism, @FlashGJr, @SLONG895, @jp_crawford and @KLew_5 sat down with @TheDaveSimsShow to discuss their experiences as Black men.— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) June 18, 2020
Tune in live tomorrow at 11 a.m. for our #BlackVoicesInBaseball panel. pic.twitter.com/nAbQT9OVaN
Around the league...
- That’s some good-looking merch.
Our new private label streetwear line, 35th & Shields, is here.— Chicago White Sox (@whitesox) June 18, 2020
Inspired by our culture & history. Available for curbside pick-up at the Chicago Sports Depot starting next week. pic.twitter.com/BMIyxvIQl4
- Eno Sarris at The Athletic talks about the undrafted player signing process. ($)
- The two sides are getting closer once again, with the sticking point being just 10 games difference.
The Major League Baseball Players Association has finalized a proposal to MLB for a season in the neighborhood of 70 games, sources tell me and @JesseRogersESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) June 18, 2020
Among the details in MLBPA’s new proposal, sources tell ESPN:— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) June 18, 2020
- 70-game season from July 19-Sept. 30
- $50M in playoff bonuses
- 50/50 split of new postseason TV revenues in 2021
- Forgiveness of salary advance for Tier I-III players
- Universal DH
- Mutual waiver of grievance
- Marcus Stroman is making an impact while we await further notice regarding a 2020 season.
#Mets pitcher Marcus Stroman put his plan to help coach Tampa Bay area youth and school teams into action Wednesday, joining the @9uHeat team for a 2 1/2-hour practice, answering questions and providing tips@STR0 @Mets #LGM https://t.co/yno2tGAg26— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) June 18, 2020
- I didn’t even realize Mark had a baseball-playing son.
Max McGwire certainly showed off in BP. Loud contact, good power. At 6'2, 185, there's definitely some projectability here. Definitely got the power from his dad. pic.twitter.com/xkRUPTzEXe— Tyler Jennings (@TylerJennings24) June 19, 2020
- Ben Clemens at Fangraphs talked about what expanded playoffs could look like.
- If you live in the Tacoma area, check these places out!