Good morning folks! While you get your weekend started, we’ve got you covered with some links.
In Mariners news...
- Shannon Drayer wrote about Jerry Dipoto’s comments regarding the potential start of the season.
Around the league...
- The guy just couldn’t catch a break.
Ariel Miranda with another strong start for the Chinatrust Brothers on Friday, allowing three runs on four hits in eight innings of work, but a bullpen collapse denied him the win and sent the game to extras in an eventual 10-8 Brothers win over the Lions. pic.twitter.com/v8O3DoJycx— Joe Veyera (@JoeVeyera) May 1, 2020
- Andy McCullough at The Athletic re-tells what might be my favorite baseball story of all time: The game Dock Ellis threw a no-hitter on LSD. ($)
- Another fun tool added over at Baseball Savant.
Just added these new charts to the pitcher player pages... Jacob deGrom's average fastball velocity at 97 MPH https://t.co/aLq4vUDPwv pic.twitter.com/R4L3tBqdZo— Daren Willman (@darenw) April 30, 2020
- The Athletic Staff tries to pick out nicknames they think are appropriate for various MLB players. ($)
- Yesterday, we mentioned there may be a pending labor dispute between these two parties. Well, it was ironed out fairly quickly.
Major League Baseball have come to an agreement with umpires for the rest of 2020, per a source. Details to come— Jesse Rogers (@ESPNChiCubs) May 1, 2020
- COVID-19 continues to affect baseball in devastating ways. May they rest in peace.
Bill Gladstone, the owner of the Astros' short-season affiliate Tri-City ValleyCats, died from complications related to COVID-19, the team announced. He was 88.— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) May 1, 2020
The A's are mourning the loss of former Athletic minor leaguer Miguel Marte, who passed away earlier this week due to complications from COVID-19. Marte played in the A's system from 2008-2012. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.https://t.co/PV7UEuAuvL pic.twitter.com/mVeLdOUciU— Oakland A's (@Athletics) May 1, 2020
- It appears that baseball is still testing players during this time.
Emmanuel Clase, the Indians' key piece in the Corey Kluber trade with TEX, has been suspended 80 games after testing positive for Boldenone, a performance-enhancing substance.— Anthony Castrovince (@castrovince) May 1, 2020
- Not every summer ball league has canned their season, although the New England Collegiate Baseball League did call it quits yesterday.
The Alaska Baseball League is still planning to play this summer. Open on June 29 and will play until August 6. Any decision to cancel won’t be made until May 15-May 21, per club #COVID19— Jason Bristol (@JBristolKHOU) May 1, 2020
- In basketball news...
The NBA postponed the May Draft Lottery and Combine today, sources tell ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) May 1, 2020
- Terrible news for sports fans in Seattle.
INBOX: Pyramid Alehouse, longtime business near Seattle’s CenturyLink Field and TMobile Park, to close permanently.#MLB #MLS #NFL pic.twitter.com/6GYMhqiTNU— Chris Daniels (@ChrisDaniels5) May 1, 2020