Hello folks! Happy Wednesday. As baseball prepares for what could be a long legal battle over the possibility of a shortened season, we’ve got everything you need to know to start off your day.
In Mariners news...
- The Mariners are cutting down staff salaries in order to avoid laying off employees, reports Corey Brock at The Athletic. ($)
- Very cool use of resources by the M’s.
The #Mariners, in partnership with Kroger and the City of Seattle, will conduct drive through COVID-19 tests at the T-Mobile Park Parking Garage this week. Note, these are by appointment only.@shannondrayer has the details.https://t.co/JwdVmdvZoP— 710 ESPN Seattle (@710ESPNSeattle) May 12, 2020
Around the league...
- Alright these agent quotes are going too far.
An agent I spoke with agreed with Boras, saying that the agent quoted here is “abdicating his responsibility to protect his clients rights.”— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) May 12, 2020
“If FDR could partner with Stalin to defeat Hitler, then the big agencies can partner with Boras to protect players’ rights.” https://t.co/Xas7FbT3xk
- Jeff Passan at ESPN took a deep dive on the upcoming financial war in baseball.
- CC has been getting in shape in quarantine.
This may be the wildest “After” picture I’ve ever seen. Good on CC for getting after it in retirement pic.twitter.com/UHIvDG8gzs— Coley Harvey (@ColeyHarvey) May 12, 2020
- The Yankees’ team physician worries about the potential rise in injuries when baseball comes back.
- Andrew Baggarly at The Athletic pitches the idea of the Giants starting top prospect Joey Bart at catcher on Opening Day. ($)
- Mark Teixeira is not making friends among current baseball players.
I refuse to judge someone I don’t really know off of one comment but damn this statement is just so stupid lol https://t.co/RoLeSVKEiF— Alex Wood (@Awood45) May 13, 2020
- In case you’re wondering what Robbie has been up to...
In an interview with the Mets' PR staff, Robinson Canó says he's kept busy...— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) May 12, 2020
-Running a food drive in the Dominican Republic (he collected more than 4,000 bags of food)
-Having Instagram conversations with A-Rod, Yadier Molina and Alfonso Soriano
-Watching "The Last Dance"
- The governor of Arizona OK’d the resumption of sports in the state starting on Saturday. This could open the door for MLB to get going again.
- A really neat feature put together about my alma mater, who missed their first shot at the big dance in 20 years due to the coronavirus.
"I think we'll always wonder...it's going to be hard to accept that, but we have to." - Joe Mihalich @HofstraMBB reflects on the basketball season getting cut short after making it to the tournament for the first time since 2001. pic.twitter.com/GTfrQAocLW— CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) May 13, 2020
- Alright all of you Broadway nerds...
It’s only a matter of time...— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) May 12, 2020
Our Hamilton film.
THIS July 3rd.
On Disney+.#Hamilfilm pic.twitter.com/cXTM949hRr