Good morning and happy first day of May! Seems like the month of April just flew right on by. Here’s what you need to know as we turn the calendar.
In Mariners news...
- This isn’t saying a whole lot to be fair.
Dipoto on potential return to play:— Jessamyn McIntyre (@JessamynMcIntyr) April 30, 2020
"What we are hearing is a renewed, or more optimistic view of the short or mid-term...there has been a lot more optimism and momentum around the idea of returning to play."
He adds that the discussions include playing in their own ball parks.
- Holy cow, look at that beard.
Mariners designated hitter and first basemen, Daniel Vogelbach, talks about being positive during these times and finding the silver lining in being home.@Mariners | @JenTalksSports | #SocialDistancing pic.twitter.com/mbRvgc7p81— ROOT SPORTS™ | NW (@ROOTSPORTS_NW) April 30, 2020
- Josh Norris at Baseball America previews the upcoming draft for the Mariners.
- Corey Brock at The Athletic went in-depth on the life of a Mariners employee during lcokdown. ($)
- If you haven’t gotten caught up, make sure to watch episodes 1-4 before diving in here.
it’s time to meet the man who, without question, is the most electrifying baseball player of the 21st century— Jon Bois (@jon_bois) April 30, 2020
THE HISTORY OF THE SEATTLE MARINERS, PART 5: THE AGE OF ICHIROhttps://t.co/zZd7AmiHGW
- Continue to get your baseball fix here.
With MLB on hiatus, they'll keep re-airing memorable Mariners games on ROOT and 710 ESPN. Here's the May schedule and some highlights. https://t.co/Oe0HCq78FC— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) April 30, 2020
Around the league...
- Jay Jaffe at Fangraphs wrote about the fallout of possible minor league contraction.
- Oh this is badass.
The KBO has created a new video intro to be used by its broadcasting partners as their open.— Dan Kurtz (@MyKBO) April 30, 2020
I think it has a bit of a 'Game of Thrones' feel to it.
(via KBO's YouTube channel at https://t.co/S2I37AqiYq)
- MLB.com conducted a survey to uncover the biggest trash talker on each team. The M’s rep is Dan Vogelbach.
- Another nail in another coffin for what’s a classic summer tradition.
.@LittleLeague is forced to cancel the 2020 Little League World Series this August in Williamsport, Pa. Huge blow to the local community and youth baseball at large.— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBG) April 30, 2020
- These are pretty cool, actually.
You guys asked for them, and we are delivering! Here is the official unveiling our Turn Ahead The Clock jerseys! We have them in our Hall of Famer, Larry Walker, and lifetime Rockie, Todd Helton! Please contact email@example.com for more information! pic.twitter.com/StvtYlKdFQ— Rox Dugout Stores (@RoxDugoutStores) April 30, 2020
- Jerry Beach at Forbes wonders if the PED users could join the next Hall of Fame class.
- A great gesture by Giancarlo Stanton.
#Yankees' Giancarlo Stanton to donate face shields to hospitals in Southland and New York in hard-hit areas: “The African-American and Latino communities are hit the hardest. Those hospitals have the least resources. They were depleted.” https://t.co/00FzeHtDSE— Bill Shaikin (@BillShaikin) April 29, 2020
- The umpires and Major League Baseball will have some things to sort out when an official verdict is made on the season, writes Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic. ($)
- If you’re trying to get into the CPBL but don’t know where to start, check out Jay Jaffe’s guide on Fangraphs.
- Meanwhile, Ben Clemens at Fangraphs drops some knowledge on the KBO.
- Oh c’monnnnn.