Hello and welcome to Quarantine Saturday, which for most of us is the same as any other day, although with possibly even more hole-marked sweatpants. I am distressed to report that my last week of cooking was decidedly lackluster, with not a single recipe making it to the final round of being copied over to an index card and filed in the recipe box. Please drop some of your recipe successes in the comments because I am getting a little desperate for ideas and the lack of availability of certain key ingredients at the market is making things difficult (as well as the usual suspects like flour and yeast, this past week I’ve struggled to find chicken breasts, salmon, fresh garlic, and shallots—who is hoarding all the tiny onions, show yourselves).
In Mariners news:
- If you have already volunteered to give blood through the Mariners-sponsored partnership with Bloodworks NW, good on you. So many people have responded to the call that the blood drive has been extended through the end of May, and spots for those dates are filling quickly. If you can donate, sign up here. Marco Gonzales and his wife Monica just did it! Obviously Marco had to be competitive about it, because Marco.
View this post on Instagram
When it’s Friday but you gotta perform your civic duty first Thank you to @marcogonzales_ and @_monicagonzales for joining our @mariners Front Office @bloodworksnw pop-up blood drive! Today, members of the Mariners family came to @tmobilepark to give much-needed blood donations for our community. Special thanks to @pepsi, @hemplerfoods, @jimmyjohns, @seattlepaseo, and @obertobeefjerky for keeping our blood sugar levels stable! #Together4Sea
- Edgar Martinez was his daughter Tessa’s date to quarantine prom and my heart exploded.
Thank you @johnkrasinski @somegoodnews #SGNProm @chancetherapper @billieeilish @jonasbrothers @rainnwilson for showing love to our #Classof2020 seniors! @TessaNicolle and her Dad had a blast! @11EdgarMartinez pic.twitter.com/zQcXqrxRTD— Holli Martinez (@HolliMartinez1) April 18, 2020
Shoutout to all the high school seniors who have been robbed of all the stuff they spent three years toiling towards. They’re not making ads recognizing you but they should be.
Around the league:
- First I was mad about how good Joey Gallo looked in the powder blue unis and now I’m mad about how much I relate to his frustration over having a particularly unflattering picture represent him in MLB The Show.
- Former Astro Michael Bourn is giving back to H-town:
Former #Astros CF Michael Bourn still lives in his hometown.He owns 3 apartment complexes in Houston w/ about 60 tenants & is concerned w/ how they’re doing during this pandemic. So he’s helping them in a big way. Michael waived their rent in April & expects to do it again in May pic.twitter.com/38Y6Kb701m— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) April 17, 2020
- If you are like me and frustrated about how few baseball books are available online via the public library but also don’t want to shovel more money directly into Jeff Bezos’s mouth, JJ Cooper of Baseball America has some good news:
University of Nebraska Press, which puts out some excellent baseball books, and some other publishers have made their e-books available for free during the pandemic.— JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36) April 17, 2020
Check out some great baseball books here:https://t.co/71kz2beiGv
If you can, support Baseball America with a subscription, and also our friends at FanGraphs, who have announced they have merch available for you to pre-order, including the always popular “Bro do you even FanGraphs?” tee. (I might be misremembering the exact quote.
- There’s actual live baseball to watch if you’re awake at 5 AM Pacific! Also, if you are awake and tweet at the team accounts, there’s a good chance they’ll tweet back. The CPBL seems to be aware that they’re in a unique position to capture an audience they might not have otherwise, which makes for a fascinating study on multiple levels.
⚾| 2020/4/18 1630(GMT+8) #LIVE Pro-baseball game here in #Taiwan on ELEVEN SPORTS. Watch here for the 2020 #CPBL regular season #FubonGuardians vs #RakutenMonkeys @fubonguardians— ELEVEN SPORTS TAIWAN (@ElevenSportsTW) April 17, 2020
@RakutenMonkeys#ForTheFans #ELEVENSPORTS in ENGLISH!!! https://t.co/kJiaWsZVgg
You can still fall off a houseboat and drown, right? Because I pick that option.