Hello, everyone, and happy Sunday! Please accept my most sincere apologies for the lateness of today’s batch of links. To make up for it, they are extra link-y today.
In Mariners news...
- This is pretty cool.
We could listen to Mallex Smith and Ken Griffey Jr. ALL DAY. pic.twitter.com/bfN0TTlf5O— Seattle Mariners (@Mariners) March 7, 2020
- Mariners LHP Ian McKinney has been re-assigned to minor league camp.
- Seattle Times beat writer Ryan Divish takes a look at the Mariners roster as it stands now.
- Shannon Drayer takes a look at a few Mariner relievers who are performing well.
Around the League...
- The MLBPA has expanded its grievance against the Pirates to include the Marlins and the Rays. The grievance is for how those teams have allocated funds given to them through the MLB’s revenue-sharing program. Each of those teams are notorious for their low payrolls.
- The United States government may be getting involved in the fight to protect Minor League Baseball, Sports Illustrated reports.
- Cardinals UTIL Yairo Muñoz straight up just... left camp? The team has unconditionally released him as a result, despite him having options remaining.
- The Chicago Tribune takes a look at how more women are pursuing baseball, rather than softball.
- Speaking of which (and in honor of International Women’s Day), SportsCenter did a feature on the first post-WWII women’s pro team.
This weekend #SCFeatured salutes the Colorado Silver Bullets - the first women's professional baseball team of the post-WWII era— ESPN Front Row (@ESPNFrontRow) March 6, 2020
Learn more on how @SportsCenter decided to share their story on #InternationalWomensDay
Debuts Sunday | 8 a.m. ET | ESPNhttps://t.co/1jecil0M62 pic.twitter.com/rVb2kAkbrQ
- A minor setback has been reported for former All-Star pitcher Carlos Carrasco.
Francona said that Carlos Carrasco has been backed up a few days due to mild elbow inflammation. Tito described it as maintenance and didn’t seem concerned that this would be problematic. Carrasco will workout with weighted balls today and will see how he feels.— Mandy Bell (@MandyBell02) March 7, 2020
- Some interesting perspective from Tigers SS Niko Goodrum...
This is real because when I got called up in 2017 they did a good job of making me feel like I wasn’t a part of the team. Bad feeling when you solo dolo in a clubhouse! I won’t forget that feeling and I always make sure now that NOT ONE young guy feels left out! YOURE ONE OF US! https://t.co/V7J4nKPTJe— Niko Goodrum (@NikoGoodrum) March 6, 2020
- Some pretty ominous news for Angels RHP Griffin Canning.
- Joe Maddon does not want his pitchers to peg the Astros.
Joe Maddon said he plans to hold a meeting with #Angels pitchers to tell them not to intentionally hit Astros batters. The Angels open in Houston.— Rhett Bollinger (@RhettBollinger) March 7, 2020
- This doesn’t sound good for Orioles 1B/OF Trey Mancini. Hope he’s okay.
Trey Mancini will undergo a “non-baseball medical procedure,” #Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said. The club will have an update at some point and wants to respect Mancini’s privacy at this time.— Nathan Ruiz (@NathanSRuiz) March 7, 2020
- If you haven’t seen Dave Parker’s throw from the 1979 All-Star Game (or even if you have), this is pretty cool.
Some cool angles of Dave Parker’s legendary throw in the 1979 All Star Game + some awesome teammate reactions that I’d never seen before! pic.twitter.com/45e047LnEO— Ben Porter (@Ben13Porter) March 7, 2020
- Andrew Baggarly at The Athletic did a very interesting piece on Barry Bonds and his legacy. ($)
- Justin Verlander has an undisclosed injury.
- In honor of International Women’s Day, Live Science took a look at twenty women who have shaped the course of science as we know it. These pioneers have permeated the field of science and forged a new era in human history.
- We’ve found amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) inside comets and meteors before. For the first time ever, however, scientists claim to have found a complete protein inside a meteor. This would be huge — the protein is so complex that it would have been very difficult for it to be synthesized by chance.