Good morning everyone! We’ve got some links to get your day started.
In Mariners news...
- Shannon Drayer talked about the significance of the Marco Gonzales contract extension.
- In case you missed it, Kate Preusser sat down with new West Virginia Power manager Eric Farris, who will lead a staff of young coaches in Seattle’s Low-A affiliate.
Around the league...
- In case you missed it late last night, some concerning medicals revolving around pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol have thrown a wrench into the potential Mookie Betts deal.
- Another former Mariner winds up in Philadelphia.
In other news.....the #Phillies have signed veteran reliever Anthony Swarzak to a minor-league deal that will pay him $1.5 million if he makes their 26-man roster with $1.25 million in incentives.— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) February 5, 2020
- Edwin Díaz believes a comeback is coming, and confidence is key, from the New York Post.
- Here we go again.
BREAKING: Pete Rose asks MLB for reinstatement, cites no punishment for Astros players for electronic signs-stealing. "There cannot be one set of rules for Mr. Rose and another for everyone else," Rose's 20-page petition to Manfred says. https://t.co/9CRCHBXkUy— Don Van Natta Jr. (@DVNJr) February 5, 2020
- Per MLB’s Jason Beck, Tigers RHP Michael Fulmer is aiming for a midseason return from his Tommy John surgery.
- A crypto-currency Ponzi scheme appears to have defrauded several prominent current and former MLB players and other athletes, from Bradford William Davis of the New York Daily News.
- Another wrinkle was added to the mega-trade from Tuesday.
- Ubaldo Jiménez is back with the Rockies on a minor league deal, reported by Robert Murray. Yes it is 2020.
- Steve Cohen’s attempt to purchase the Mets from the infamous Wilpon family is falling apart on the Wilpons’ desire to maintain control of the club for the next five years during transition.
- This is neat!
Big international @MLB news: @Tigers and @Twins will play exhibition at Estadio Quisqueya Juan Marichal in Santo Domingo on March 7. It’s the first MLB game in the Dominican Republic since 2000. @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 5, 2020
- Cardinals long-time top pitching prospect Alex Reyes is slated for a bullpen role upon his return from the IL as well, per the St. Louis Dispatch.
- Following a breakout season, Gio Urshela has grabbed the reins on the 3B position for the Yankees, writes Lindsey Adler of The Athletic. That means former top prospect Miguel Andujar will be relegated to a utility role to start the year.
- Former Mariners prospect Ian Miller is among the crop.
- Former Mariners 1B Yonder Alonso has a minor league deal with the Braves, per Ken Rosenthal.
- Matt Gelb of The Athletic reports the Phillies claimed RHP Deolis Guerra and DFAed J.D. Hammer, as well as signing another former M’s player to a MiLB deal: RHP Blake Parker.
- Nooooooo Pax!
Earlier today, LHP James Paxton underwent a microscopic lumbar discectomy with removal of a peridiscal cyst. The surgery was performed by Dr. Andrew Dossett in Dallas, Texas. His approximate timeline to return to Major League action is 3-4 months.— New York Yankees (@Yankees) February 5, 2020
- In media news, Spotify has agreed to purchase The Ringer in an effort to boost their podcast business.