Well, we had perhaps our final blockbuster move of the winter yesterday as the baseball season draws near. We’ve got all of that and more in today’s links.
In Mariners news...
- Jake Mailhot at Fangraphs broke down the Marco Gonzales extension.
- Mitch Haniger is officially on the mend.
Per GM Jerry Dipoto, Mitch Haniger recently had surgery for his sports hernia. There is no timetable for his return.— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) February 4, 2020
Around the league...
- In case you missed it last night, the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Twins lined up on a blockbuster three-team deal that sent Mookie Betts to Los Angeles.
- The Dodgers and Angels then came together for an additional swap afterwards.
Infielder Luis Rengifo is headed to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a deal for outfielder Joc Pederson, sources tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 5, 2020
- This one slipped under the radar a little.
Infielder Wilmer Flores and the San Francisco Giants are in agreement on a multiyear contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Flores, 28, hit .317/.361/.487 with the Diamondbacks last year and could be in line to play second base or a utility role with the Giants.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 4, 2020
- Alden Gonzalez at ESPN tries to nail down why Mike Trout hasn’t been able to lead the Angels to playoff success yet.
- A cool gesture by the Phillies.
The Phillies announce they are retiring Roy Halladay’s No. 34 on May 29. It will take place on the 10th anniversary of Halladay’s perfect game.— Meghan Montemurro (@M_Montemurro) February 4, 2020
- Jared Diamond at The Wall Street Journal wrote about Christian Yelich’s journey to becoming more than just a celebrity within baseball circles. ($)
- Another Fangraphs writer takes off for other work.
News! Kiley McDaniel Joins @espn as an MLB Insider.— ESPN PR (@ESPNPR) February 4, 2020
⚾️Read more on @kileymcd on ESPN Press Room: https://t.co/iDJqvu2nyz pic.twitter.com/3gXaWEVsQ1
- Oh wow.
Statement from #Mets ownership on reports that Steve Cohen is backing out of deal to purchase majority stake in club: “The parties are subject to confidentiality obligations, including a mutual non-disclosure agreement, and therefore cannot comment.”— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 4, 2020