Good morning folks! Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs for winning Super Bowl LIV. With the Super Bowl ending, the calendar turns to baseball. Pitchers and catchers will report before you know it, and news will be coming quick. Until then, here’s what you need to know as you get your Monday started.
In Mariners news...
- In case you missed it, Jake Mailhot at Fangraphs wrote about the Mariners signing of Yoshihisa Hirano.
Around the league...
- Aaron Boone needs to buy a lottery ticket — this came before the Super Bowl kicked off.
- Alex Rodriguez seemed to be enjoying himself at the Super Bowl.
- The Red Rox are expected to make a decision on Mookie Betts imminently.
- League-wide, the expectation appears to be a trade will come soon, with San Diego or the Dodgers as the front-runners.
- 57 year old Tony Fernández, who spent most of his 17 year career with the Blue Jays, is in critical condition after complications from kidney disease.
- After Buster Olney’s recent claim he’d “bet the family farm” that Betts is dealt this winter, our friends at Over The Monster investigated Olney’s history of gambling his pastoral childhood home in Vermont.
- Seattle residents, buckle up for more stuff like this once we get our team.