Happy Sunday! Not much going on for the Mariners, but I’ve been enjoying the videos and pictures from spring training. I’m excited to get games underway and get some looks at our prospects.
In Mariners news...
- A fairly quiet day from the Mariners camp in Peoria. Just more beautiful sights, like the following:
Jared Kelenic taking swings off coach Guti on Field 3. #MarinersST pic.twitter.com/WGT1T0PjME— Shannon Drayer (@shannondrayer) February 15, 2020
#MarinersST Day 4 - @MLBNetwork catches up with @PHill_bone, star-studded instructors in camp, a visit from @MLBTheShow and more.— MarinersPR (@MarinersPR) February 16, 2020
Read: https://t.co/YXQ3f2DS9l pic.twitter.com/3U4lCpf5of
Around the league...
- The Astro’s dumpster fire/apology tour continues
Houston manager Dusty Baker: MLB needs to step in to stop "premeditated" targeting of Astros hitters with pitches from opponents angry at their cheating.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) February 15, 2020
News story at ESPN: https://t.co/JNJAwXtRJW
- Carlos Correa stepped up to defend Jose Altuve after Cody Bellinger’s comments ($) the other day. He says Altuve didn’t want his shirt ripped off in the home run celebration because his wife didn’t want him to and because he had a bad tattoo.
- Jeff Passan sums up the war of words this spring. Baseball is burning.
- In news that doesn’t involve the Astros:
Alex Verdugo has a stress fracture in his back that Red Sox knew about before trade. Availability for start of season seems doubtful, as @alexspeier reported.— John Tomase (@jtomase) February 15, 2020
- First Bay Area trade in 16 years
FARHAN AND A’S MADE A TRADE! Burch Smith, whom the Giants had DFAd, goes to Oakland for cash considerations. First deal between the clubs since Adam Pettyjohn for cash in 2004.— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) February 15, 2020
- Another injury for the Angels pitching staff:
Ty Buttrey has an intercostal injury. Angels are backing off for 1-2 weeks. Maddon expects he’ll be ready for the start of the season. He’s looking forward to Buttrey being “really really good.”— Maria Torres (@maria_torres3) February 15, 2020
- Nice update on a former Mariner:
Tommy Milone will wear No 69 #orioles— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) February 15, 2020
- Last night, the news broke that former major league shortstop Tony Fernandez has died.
Former MLB player Tony Fernandez has died. He suffered a brain stroke and Kidney complications.— Héctor Gómez (@hgomez27) February 16, 2020
Fernandez was selected to 5 All Star Games, won 4 Gold Glove and a World Series with Toronto Blue Jays (1993).
Rest in peace. @z101digital @ZDeportes pic.twitter.com/JtpVSLiOAv
- Yesterday afternoon the University of Washington gymnastics team beat Arizona. The highlight of the meet was a perfect 10 from Evanni Roberson on beam:
Here's the full PERFECT 10 routine by Evanni Roberson, the Beam Queen!!#GymDawgs pic.twitter.com/RXmzztVCZQ— Washington Gymnastics (@UWGymnastics) February 15, 2020
It was the first perfect 10 by the Gym Dawgs since 2004, and the first perfect 10 on beam in program history. The senior from Puyallup also set a personal-best All-Around score of 39.650.