With much of the league taking the end of this week as a holiday period, not much of note is out there to pass along, but what there is, we’ve got!
In Mariners news...
- The M’s compiled a festive video for anyone missing listening to the dulcet tones of the Mariners broadcast crew.
Around the league...
- The Texas Rangers have reportedly signed RHP Kohei Arihara of the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters to a two year deal. The 28 year old righty had a 30 day signing window set to close today.
Right-hander Kohei Arihara and the Texas Rangers are in agreement on a two-year contract in the $6-7 million range, sources tell ESPN. @Ken_Rosenthal was on the deal first.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) December 26, 2020
- The MLB Pipeline crew assembled a list of the best “gifts” each team had received in their prospect stockings in recent memory. Three guesses for which M’s farmhand got the honor!
- Per the Japan Times, nine year MLB veteran SS/INF Adeiny Hechavarría signed a deal with the Chiba Lotte Marines of NPB. The deal will pay $970k.
- Dick Allen had a difficult time with the Phillies despite his excellent play, but a secret visit to Allen’s farm from Phillies legends eased his return. Matt Breen at the Philadelphia Inquirer has the story.
- On Xmas Eve in 1969, Curt Flood mailed the letter that would ignite a total overhaul in MLB and pro sports, ultimately creating free agency and a degree of choice for generations of players to come.
- 2020 was one of the hardest years in MLB history for the inductees to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, as six members of the immortal plaque gallery passed away.
- Jay Jaffe at FanGraphs looked at how Sammy Sosa stacks up on the current Hall of Fame ballot, which is lacking any clear slam dunks.
- The dangers of trading your stars around the holidays. Did this ever happen to you?