Good morning everyone! Things should slow down in the latter half of this week, but until then, we’ve got some news for you from the day that was.
In Mariners news...
- Congratulations to Greg, who has always been great to read from the M’s beat.
In the most 2020 of timing ... some personal news. Now that I finally got my Twitter back after 6 weeks of being hacked, I can report that I'm retiring after 41 years in the sports writing biz next week.— Greg Johns (@GregJohnsMLB) December 22, 2020
Thanks to all for reading and following all these years! It's been awesome!
- How high will Julio rank when the BA prospect handbook comes around?
So it's basically the winter of Julio Rodriguez at Baseball America.— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) December 22, 2020
The @Mariners prospect is on the cover of the 2021 Prospect Handbook: https://t.co/LDDU1JjZrM
He's also on the cover of our January issue.
BA insiders can get it now in our app: https://t.co/TCBNNiMP4i pic.twitter.com/QgkjHLETA7
- We’ve got a top 10 on the Mariners’ prospects specifically, though.
New #Mariners Top 10 Prospects re: Baseball America:— Joe (@JoeDoyleMiLB) December 22, 2020
1) Julio Rodriguez
2) Jarred Kelenic
3) Logan Gilbert
4) Emerson Hancock
5) Noelvi Marte
6) Taylor Trammell
7) George Kirby
8) Cal Raleigh
9) Juan Then
10) Andres Muñoz
- Chris Flexen gives some thoughts on joining the Mariners.
"That young core group of guys is something that I ultimately wanted to be a part of."— MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM (@MLBNetworkRadio) December 23, 2020
Chris Flexen on why he joined the @Mariners: pic.twitter.com/tWJscaj35m
Around the league...
- James Paxton was tossing low 90s yesterday, which certainly isn’t what he used to get up to.
Free agent James Paxton reached 94 mph at a throwing session for scouts, source says; as many as 20 teams were in attendance. @MLBNetwork @MLB— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 23, 2020
- General managers and baseball insiders told Jesse Rogers at ESPN what to expect this winter.
- Neil deMause at Defector talked about the incoming fallout from the new MiLB agreement.
- Another recent former player lands a big-time gig.
According to sources, Phillies will name Sam Fuld general manager. Former big leaguer has been in front office for several years with Phillies.— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyNBCS) December 22, 2020
- A sweepstakes to keep an eye out for.
The posting deadline for Kohei Arihara is this Saturday, and according to sources, a number of teams are interested in the 28-year-old RHP. The Rangers are among those believed to be in the mix. Arihara comps to Kenta Maeda and Kyle Hendricks and figures to be a mid-rotation SP.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) December 22, 2020
- The former Mariner makes the move from China to Korea.
Source: LHP Ariel Miranda has signed a deal today with the Doosan Bears in the KBO League. Contract´s terms have not been clarified yet.— Francys Romero (@francysromero10) December 23, 2020
Fuente: Ariel Miranda ha firmado hoy un acuerdo con los Doosan Bears en la KBO League. No se han aclarado los terminos del contrato todavía. pic.twitter.com/1qr4W0QVxo
- Brendan Gawlowski at Fangraphs wrote about Howie Kendrick’s career in light of the infielder’s retirement.
- The White Sox have agreed to a tentative deal with J2 player Yoelki Céspedes, the younger brother of Yoenis. As a 23-year-old, the younger Céspedes could reach the big leagues fairly quickly.