Good Sunday morning to everyone. Yesterday I hung Christmas lights, which is the absolute earliest I’ve ever done it, but a prominent house in my neighborhood did it on Friday and when I went out to pick up dinner, I noticed that most people had put up their lights as well. We were all just waiting for that first domino to fall, it seems. I guess we needed a little extra light this year. On to the light of the links!
In Mariners news:
- In case you missed it yesterday: the Mariners’ minor league affiliation structure is changing.
- Also, a belated happy birthday to the Kid! Staff writer Tim celebrated by slapping this sweet-ass decal on his truck:
Dee Gordon also paid tribute to his pal Griffey, with this very Correct Take:
In LIDOM news:
There was only one game yesterday, Escogido (Julio Rodríguez, Luis Liberato) vs. the Águilas (Yohan Ramírez), with the Águilas winning 2-0. Ramírez pitched an inning and while he gave up a double, he ended the inning without damage and, more importantly, didn’t walk anyone. Liberato and Julio each went 0-for in the loss, but when Julio is around, things are always fun.
Win or lose, it's always fun to watch Julio play pic.twitter.com/7VG23GyJwV— Lookout Landing (@LookoutLanding) November 21, 2020
In more somber LICEY news, the Tigres del Licey, who had to cancel their game after a COVID outbreak on the team, posted only this today, a sobering reminder that This Is Not Over:
♂️ pic.twitter.com/WMT3MFea5w— Tigres del Licey (@TigresdelLicey) November 21, 2020
Around the league:
- Friday’s Rule 5 deadline meant a new group of players are now enjoying the perks of 40-man life: membership in the MLBPA (which includes Major League benefits), a boost in salary, an automatic invite to big-league camp, etc. Some of our compatriots at fellow SBN sites wrote up their additions: check out the newest major-leaguers-in-waiting over at Let’s Go Tribe, headlined by Top-100 prospect Nolan Jones; Twinkie Town, headlined by RHP Jordan Balazovic; AZ Snakepit, where the Diamondbacks added shortstop Geraldo Perdomo and pitcher J.B. Bukauskas, whose name I better learn how to spell before he gets to Triple-A Reno; Over the Monster has done a deep dive into the Red Sox 40-man adds, including a couple interesting pitchers in Jay Groome and Connor Seabold; similarly, there’s an in-depth look at some 40-man adds I wasn’t familiar with at The Good Phight; and read at DRays Bay how the Rays are managing their roster crunch. Fantasy players who might want to find some sleeper or dynasty prospects, get your info here.
- Remember that Kris Bryant trade rumor Jon Morosi reported? Bleed Cubbie Blue dove into what would make it make sense for the Cubs.
- Speaking of the Cubs, they signed five players to minor-league deals, including old friend Ian Miller.
- Speaking of Jon Morosi rumors:
Sources: #Rangers among the teams showing interest in free agent J.A. Happ, who posted the best ERA of any #Yankees starter this year other than Gerrit Cole. @MLBNetwork @MLB— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) November 21, 2020
- Per Alex Speier at The Boston Globe, this season there’s been some unblocking of the bottleneck that has been partially responsible for keeping minority candidates on the outside looking in at baseball coaching jobs. I’ll wait for the TIDES report before declaring things are moving in the right direction, personally.
- I never knew my great-grandmother, but apparently when someone did something that deeply offended or displeased her, she was prone to harrumph, “they shot Lincoln, and let that live.” Anyway, no idea why that particular anecdote popped into my head just now.
Ballot #3 (our first "official" ballot) comes from Steven Marcus. He submits a blank ballot.— Ryan Thibodaux (@NotMrTibbs) November 21, 2020
Marcus, who cast a Jeter-only ballot last year, notes this is not a "protest." He believes there are simply no Hall of Famers on the 2021 ballot.
In the Tracker: https://t.co/cVpo9dRM90 pic.twitter.com/TBw0x8NeQp
- Palate cleanser with this cool story from NBC about former ballplayer Micah Johnson’s art career. Also, if anyone is looking for a Christmas gift for me, I’ll take that painting of the Kid, please and thanks.