Normally I try to summon a little cheer for these Sunday links but I confess to feeling pretty ground-down today, as rumor has it Washington State is facing down another round of COVID-19 preventative measures being put into place tomorrow. I’m trying not to say “restrictions” because how you frame things is important, mentally, but with the weather outside turning rainy and dark, it’s hard not to feel...restricted, especially with the holiday season approaching. Perhaps a fresh hot serving of links will cheer us all up.
In Mariners news:
- Maybe it’s not technically Mariners news but it’s Mariners-adjacent: Happy LIDOM Opening Day! Today the Liga de Beísbol Profesional de la Republica Dominicana (LIDOM) starts out, and due to the pandemic canceling minor league seasons, this year’s teams are a little extra star-packed. The LL staff will be adopting the Leones del Escogido, usually known as Escogido (or the Escarlata, the Scarlet, for their team colors, or #RUGE, or “ROAR!”), as that team will boast Mariners prospects Julio Rodríguez and Luís Liberato, as well as super-prospect Wander Franco (and possibly Vlad Guerrero Jr. too), if you’re into that kind of thing. Other teams with Seattle connections, if you’re not sold on Escogido: the Estrellas Orientales (current Mariner prospects Dayeison Arias and Eric Filia, 2020 Mariner Nestor Cortes, one-time Mariner Junior Lake); the Águilas Cibaeñas (current Mariner Yohan Ramirez); the Tigres de Licey (no real connections other than very former Mariner Welington Castillo, but the team is managed by member of the ‘95 Mariners Luis Sojo, and the team VP is Manny Acta); the Toros del Este (Spring Training-Mariner Alen Hanson); and the Gigantes del Cibao (former Mariner minor leaguer Darío Álvarez, Mariners 2011 FA signing Gabriel Guerrero).
The games kick off at 5 PM Dominican time (AST), which is one here in the Pacific Time zone, with the Gigantes vs. Águilas and Estrellas vs. Toros. Our Leones play at 7:30 PM AST, which is 3:30 PT. You can stream the games on DR Sports with a one-day pass or a season pass for $20. You can also listen to the games on TuneIn for free; just type in the name of the team you’re trying to find in the search bar, or check the official team accounts on Twitter for links.
CALENDARIO OFICIAL ️— LIDOM (@LIDOMRD) October 22, 2020
Temporada Otoño Invernal 2020-21 pic.twitter.com/JZhFMBj511
Note that the times listed above in LIDOM’s tweet is different from what is listed on the DR Sports website, but since the official Escogido account on Twitter says 7:30, that’s what we’re going with. Also if anyone is interested in watching as a group we could throw up a game thread; let us know in the comments if you plan on watching these games.
- In non-LIDOM news, if you’re looking for a stocking stuffer for a Seattle sports fan that also benefits Seattle Children’s, get thee to Bartell’s:
Looking for an awesome Christmas gift that’s for a great cause? Go check out your local @bartelldrugs and pick up a limited edition @Topps trading card set that benefits all of the kids @seattlechildren The roster is and you get one autographed card in every set! pic.twitter.com/7laPPefqHP— Charlie Furbush (@charliefurbush) November 14, 2020
Around the League:
- The Phillies are reportedly planning to loot the Reds of their assistant pitching coach to install Driveline alum Caleb Cotham as their new pitching coach.
- However, the Phillies are yet to hire a new GM, and Jayson Stark at the Athletic ($) says they won’t do that until they hire a new president of baseball ops. Now that the Mets look to be riding the Steve Cohen train away from Dysfunction Junction and into the bright and shiny land of Competence, the question must be asked: are the Phillies the new Mets?
- Juan Soto getting the new PlayStation is, as the kids say, a whole mood:
This is how Juan Soto reacted when he received his favorite gift: a PlayStation!pic.twitter.com/gCj5lsgIsR— Héctor Gómez (@hgomez27) November 14, 2020
- Bad news out of the Giants organization; #7 prospect, OF Alexander Canario, tore his shoulder labrum at fall instructional camp and has undergone surgery. Canario needs to be added to the 40-man roster by the November 20 deadline or will risk being scooped up by another team in the Rule 5 draft, but San Francisco already has 39 players on their 40-man roster.
- Speaking of the Giants, their 2020 Opening Day catcher, Tyler Heineman, has signed with the Cardinals.
- Tim Tebow is preparing for his 345th season of minor league baseball. Please, Tim Tebow, I am begging you to stop. Open a winery or something. Tim Tebow’s Non-Alcoholic Fruit Wines. The Tebowl of Cherries, there you go, you can have that one for free.
I know I was a grumpier person before but watching this squirrel housing an entire egg roll has seriously improved my outlook. Live your best life, squirrel.
A whole damn egg roll. pic.twitter.com/iqgUkZKYdN— jamie (@gnuman1979) November 14, 2020