A World Series between the two best teams in baseball certainly has had its share of star turns, and the matchup has not disappointed thus far. News from that series, and the rest of the league, to start your Sunday!
In playoff news...
- Here’s our official recap of last night’s INSANE finish to the Dodgers-Rays game, with Tampa tying the series at 2-2.
- The walk off was something most of us have never seen before.
In Mariners news...
- Here’s a nice highlight of Noelvi Marte against 19 year old LHP Jesus Gonzalez, crushing a home run on a hung changeup while showcasing a shorter, smoother leg kick and swing.
- Yesterday’s game went well for Marte too, it seems.
SS Noelvi Marte recorded 2 hits, including hitting a home run in back-to-back games, as the #Mariners defeated the Royals 8-5 in today's Fall League action. C Carter Bins picked up 2 doubles, while RH Jarod Bayless struck out all 3 batters faced on 14 pitches in the 9th. pic.twitter.com/a9Eg1ElLyE— Mariners PR (@MarinersPR) October 25, 2020
- Congratulations to former Mariners All-Star Jose Lopez on his 2000th career hit.
Around the league...
- Orioles GM and longtime former Astros front office executive Mike Elias is the latest current or former Houston decision maker to run afoul of the rules and the law. Elias is under investigation for pension fraud, having given benefits to a member of the Baltimore coaching staff who was likely ineligible instead of other qualifying members.
- Congratulations to Athletics reliever Liam Hendriks and Brewers reliever Devin Williams on winning MLB’s outstanding reliever award this year for each league.
- Black players in MLB have long had a unique relationship with one another, heavily relying on direct mentorship to navigate the challenges they can face. That hasn’t changed during the pandemic. (NYT $)
- The Yankees appear on track for a payroll cut, as they appear willing to accept just being another regular contender with their Evil Empire juggernaut days fading further into the rearview.
- As Justin Turner has another dominant postseason, the Mets find themselves lamenting yet another One Who Got Away.
- The Angels are continuing their search for a new GM, reportedly considering former Marlins exec Michael Hill.
- Mookie Betts is having an electric postseason, but league-wide, GMs understandably still prefer Mike Trout to the only player who has come close to approaching the production of the Fish King in the past half-decade.
- The Astros took another blow to their pitching staff, which will now be without Justin Verlander and Josh James for most or all of the 2021 season.
Astros reliever Josh James underwent surgery to repair a labral tear in his left hip. He is expected to be out approximately 6-8 months, according to the team.— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) October 24, 2020
- The Athletics have continued their layoffs, cutting a huge swath of their marketing and ticketing staff, among others.
- One of the most impressive players on the international market this year is Cuban outfielder Mario Luis Pino, who is working out in the Dominican Republic for scouts.
The #WhiteSox have interest in 16-year-old Cuban outfielder Mario Luis Pino. Scouts attended his workout in the DR on Monday. Power+speed combo, likely ends up in RF. Looking for $1 million plus. Oakland and Tampa Bay the frontrunners according to @Enrique_Rojas1— James Fox (@JamesFox917) October 24, 2020
- After a lengthy court process, the Washington Nationals have been determined to be owed $100 million by TV group MASN over a rights discrepancy.