Good morning folks! We’ve got some news for you.
In Mariners news...
- Justin Dunn joined MLB Network to talk about his time with the Mariners so far.
Around the league...
- The Dodgers have emerged as real frontrunners in the effort to acquire Mookie Betts, reports Andy McCullough at The Athletic. ($)
- The Astros found their man, and it’s going to be awesome to see him back in the dugout.
A day after the Houston Astros focused in on Dusty Baker as their main target, he is officially their new manager, a source familiar with the deal tells ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 29, 2020
This will be Baker's fifth managerial job. At 70, he will be the oldest manager in baseball. @BNightengale had the news.
- Not a bad gig for the new guy.
Interesting twist to Dusty Baker's hiring by the Astros: Because Houston is the defending American League champion, Baker will manage the AL in this summer's All-Star Game at Dodger Stadium.— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) January 29, 2020
- We love some fun charts.
- The threatened teams have done quite well.
- This is pretty surprising, frankly.
BREAKING: Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant has lost his grievance against the team seeking an extra year of service, sources familiar with the ruling tell ESPN.— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) January 29, 2020
News story at @espn: https://t.co/07lx6NUttj
- In case you have a hankering to watch great pitching...
- Another player from Japan finds a home stateside.
The A's welcome RHP Shohei Tomioka, signed to a minor league contract today. The 23-year-old right-handed pitcher from Kurobe City, Japan was signed by A's scout Toshiyuki Tomizuka. #RootedInOakland pic.twitter.com/KazvEuIZnE— Oakland A's (@Athletics) January 29, 2020
- Left-handed pitcher Scott Kazmir is attempting a comeback to the big leagues.
- Seems like a strange caveat.
MLB has told teams contemplating possible 26-man rosters for this season that the max number of pitchers per team has been set at 13.— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) January 29, 2020
That's been the assumption in front offices, but that's now a firm number
The message: You can carry an extra player - just not another reliever
- What do y’all think?